Chapter 5: Casita In Danger

Mirabel's POV:
I woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of a loud crashing noise coming from downstairs.

Scared and not knowing what was happening, I decided to investigate. I groaned softly and climbed out of bed, being careful not to wake everyone else up as I slowly crept downstairs.

Apparently, several flower pots had fallen during the night, all shattering loudly as they crashed to the floor below. The tiles and walls around me were cracked, and the candle in the window had begun to flicker.. almost as if it was trying to go out.

"Casita?" I asked nervously, slowly creeping along the floor to pick up the shattered piece of a flower pot.

I winced in pain as the sharp edge of the pot cut my hand, and the cracks on the walls and floors were now growing larger and larger by the second.

Panicked, I ran back upstairs to my room, grabbing my phone to call Manuel. I didn't care that it was the middle of the night, I just knew I needed his help. Whatever was happening, I knew I had to get to the bottom of it.. now, before the house was destroyed.

Manuel's POV:
I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing. Groaning as I turned over in bed, I caught the glowing red numbers of my alarm clock staring back at me. It was only 3AM.

But who on earth would be calling me this late?

Rubbing the sleep from my eyes, I picked up the phone. "Hello?" I asked sleepily.

"Manuel, I need your help. Casita's in trouble."

"Mirabel? Is that you?" I asked nervously. "Is everything alright?"

"Yes, Manuel.. it's me. Casita's in trouble. Please.. I need you to get down here as fast as you can." I could hear the desperation in her voice, and I knew she was scared. Something was definitely wrong.

Without even giving it a second thought, I jumped from bed, dressing quickly and sneaking out into the darkness of night. I had to reach her now.. before it was too late.

Finally arriving at the home of the Madrigals, I rushed inside to find Mirabel sitting on the floor in front of a broken flower pot, crying.

"Mirabel?" I asked. "It's okay Mirabel, I'm here. Now, will you please tell me what's going on? What's wrong with casita?"

I helped her to her feet and lifted her chin to look at me. Her eyes were all red and puffy from crying, her curly black hair now an untamed mess. But even so, she still looked beautiful.

"I.. I don't know what happened," she muttered. "All I know is that one minute I'm sound asleep and then the next I know, there's a loud crash and now the foundation is breaking and I don't know why, but the candle is also trying to burn out."

I follow her finger as she points to the window, where the magical candle that holds the key to the family's power is now flickering and dying out.

"But this doesn't make any sense," I whispered. "I thought the candle was magic, meaning it could never go out.."

Mirabel sighed heavily. "It's not supposed to," she muttered. "I don't know what's happening, but I know it's never happened before."

The tears clouded her eyes once more as she fell to her knees. "Manuel, what's happening? What if we lose our home?" she asked nervously.

"I think we should tell someone else what's going on. We'll go find Abuela, she'll know what to do," I reassured her.

She shook her head. "She won't believe us," she muttered. "I'm afraid we'll have to figure it out on our own."

"But how?" I asked. "Everyone else is asleep. Who could possibly know what happened if no one saw it but us?"

Mirabel thought for a moment. "It's a long shot.. but there's one person in this family who hears everything. If anyone will know what's hurting the magic.. it's her," she whispered. "Come on. We have to find Dolores, and quickly."