Chapter 6: Time Bomb

Manuel's POV:
The look in Mirabel's eyes worried me. I could tell she was scared, and I wanted to help, but I knew we couldn't wake her cousin up in the middle of the night. We were on our own.

I sighed heavily, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. "Mirabel, it's literally 3AM. We can't wake Dolores up now. Can't it at least wait until morning?" I asked.

"No, Manuel! Don't you understand? The magic is dying, and we have to figure out why before it's too late," she cried, sinking to her knees as she buried her head in her hands. "We could literally lose our home. Why does no one understand how urgent this is?"

"I understand.. it's just that I don't think we'll get much help in the middle of the night," I muttered.

"Then we'll just have to figure it out on our own," she persisted. "Please Manuel.. please, I need you. You have to help me figure out what's wrong with casita."

She was begging me to help her. I could see the desperation in her eyes. There was no doubt in my mind.. she was absolutely terrified.

"Okay, okay.. I'll help you in any way I can," I whispered. "So where are we supposed to start?"

"I have no idea," she sighed. "I guess the first thing we should do is look for clues.."

"Look for clues? What, like a mystery?" I asked.

She nodded slowly. "Exactly."

a few hours later...

Mirabel's POV:
Manuel and I had been searching for hours, desperately looking for anything that could help explain what was wrong with casita. But so far, neither of us had found anything, and I could see that Manuel was starting to lose hope.

He sighed heavily. "We've been at this for hours," he muttered. "There's nothing here."

"Well we can't just give up," I protested. "There has to be something we're missing.. there has to!"

He shook his head. "It's almost morning, Mirabel. My father will be looking for me any minute. I'm sorry but I have to go.."

I sighed, nodding slowly. "I'm sorry.." I muttered. "I never meant to waste your time."

"You didn't waste my time, Mirabel. I want to help you.. I really do, but I have no idea what's happening and now I have to go help my father. So, good luck.. let me know if you find anything, okay?"

He kissed my cheek and just like that he was gone, leaving me all alone on the floor. I knew I was on my own.

The family had already began to stir as I made my way back upstairs to my room.. the only place Manuel and I hadn't searched.

"Oh! Dolores! I'm sorry, I didn't see you there," I muttered as I bumped into her. She was on her way to the kitchen for breakfast, but I had to know if she'd heard anything about what was happening.

"Dolores, can I ask you something? I think something's wrong with the magic.. and I can't seem to figure out what. I was wondering if you had possibly heard something about what happened last night?" I asked hopefully.

"The only one worried about the magic is you," she whispered. "Oh! And Luisa. I heard her eye twitching.. all night." And that was all she said before walking away.

I knew Luisa was already in town, no doubt trying to get an early start on today's chores. But I knew I had to find her.. somehow, before it was too late.

I finally found her in the heart of the Encanto, helping the townspeople with their chores.

"Luisa! We need to talk," I said. "Dolores told me you might know what's wrong with casita. I think the magic is dying, and I'm not sure why.."

"I don't know either, but last night during Antonio's gift ceremony I felt.. weak," she muttered. "But I heard the grownups talking once. Before tío Bruno left, he had a vision about it. If you want to know what's wrong with the magic, start with Bruno's tower."

There it was. I had my answer. Or so I thought..