Hiding in Franciade

A week after his final confrontation against Germain, Arno, still devastated by Élise's death, was hiding in Franciade, drinking away his sorrows in a local tavern. The Assassin was then contacted by de Sade, who asked him to find a manuscript made by Nicolas de Condorcet, hidden in the tomb of Louis IX of France inside the royal necropolis. During their meeting in the tavern, the Marquis payed Arno's drinking debts and promised him a place on a ship leaving France for Egypt four days later, in exchange for Condorcet's scientific studies.

While searching for the manuscript in the undercity, the exiled Assassin found out that the manuscript wasn't in the tomb and that a group of tomb raiders were searching the entrance of a Temple. After more investigations, Arno discovered that the manuscript was stolen by a young thief named Léon, and while searching the necropolis for him, Arno found that he had been captured by the raiders for spying on them.

Hiding, Arno heard that the raiders were led by Philippe Rose and sponsored by Napoleon Bonaparte in order to open the precursor temple under the Basilica and take the Piece of Eden stored within. Arno then saved the unruly orphan from the raiders and recovered the manuscript but was reluctant to get himself involved in Bonaparte's affair, wanting to leave France above anything else. His resolve softened after visions of Élise and the boy's pleas, as well as the imperious need to save France. Arno eventually decided to stop the raiders from acquiring the artifact before leaving for Egypt.

Finding the location of the Temple and stealing the key from one of Napoleon's officers, the Arno was able to open the door leading to it but was ambushed by Rose, who intended to take the artifact for himself. Arno fell into the depth of the necropolis, but survived and managed to reach the Temple before the raiders' leader could take the Piece of Eden.

Arno then killed Rose, recovered the Head of Saint Denis and used its power to repel the numerous raiders and escape the Temple. Later, as agreed, Arno met de Sade in the tavern and gave him Condorcet's manuscript. However, he repaid his drinking debt with a Louis d'or and left without a word, having decided to stay in France. Arno also contacted the Brotherhood, asking them to bring the Piece of Eden contained in the Head of Saint Denis to Al Mualim in Egypt, beyond the reach of Bonaparte.