Return to Paris

After Arno and Élise returned to Paris, despite the anarchy, the city was in the middle of a celebration. Élise revealed to Arno that the event was being hosted by Maximilien de Robespierre, one of the Templars who involved in killing Élise's father and a follower of Germain. Arno insisted on assassinating Robespierre, but Élise suggested a different approach. After discreetly infiltrating the celebration and locating Robespierre, Élise planned to discredit him in the eyes of the public, allowing her and Arno to kill him easily. Arno agreed and gathered incriminating evidence while Élise poisoned Robespierre's winery. After Arno planted the evidence on several people, the people turn against Robespierre and arrested him, much to Arno and Élise's surprise.

After tracking Robespierre down to a palace, Arno and Élise infiltrate it and corner him. As he refused to cooperate, Élise shot him in the jaw and he revealed that Germain was located in the Parisian Temple. Arno and Élise arrived at the Temple and infiltrated it, eventually finding Germain. Before Arno could assassinate him, however, Germain used the power of the Sword of Eden against the Assassin in combat, before using it to disappear from the chamber.

Arno subsequently managed to find Élise again, and together they entered the Templar crypt in the catacombs, where they once again confronted Germain. With Élise distracting Germain, Arno attempted to assassinate the Grand Master once more, but failed due to a shield projected by the sword. After three more attempts, Arno managed to break through, but the shockwave trapped him under the rubble. Élise came to Arno's aid, but noticed Germain attempting to escape. Despite Arno's protests, Élise left him behind to pursue Germain, but was no match for the Grand Master.

Élise's sword was broken during the fight, and the Sword of Eden's power was becoming unstable. Arno managed to free himself and rushed to help Élise, but was too late as the Sword of Eden exploded, killing Élise and mortally wounding Germain in the process. In an act of grief, Arno slowly assassinated Germain by stabbing him in the throat with the Hidden Blade. In a vision following his death, Germain explained his struggle of being a Sage, and his beliefs in de Molay's and Élise's unfortunate deaths.