Karthik

After being cooped up in the palace all day, it felt nice to leave for a while and have a walk in the summer air. The grass rustled beneath my feet, and somewhere within the trees, I could hear the crickets singing their song. When I got to our spot, I set the oil lantern down at my feet and rested my head on the trunk of a tree.

The moon was at the peak of the night sky, her light a soft ray upon everything below. I breathed out, and the air tickled my nose. The constant chirps of the crickets became a song to my ears, and realizing that it could take a while before she got here, I closed my eyes, but only for a short period.

"Karthik," a voice called out. I felt a hand touch my shoulder. Ever so slightly, it felt as if it weren't even there. "Karthik," the voice came again, this time louder, and the touch firmer on my shoulder, shaking me gently. My eyes fluttered open, and there she was, holding a oil lantern with one hand while her other was still on my shoulder.

"Darshini," It came out so softly, I was unsure if she even heard me. But she smiled, and that was all that I needed to return with one of my own. If I were an artist, I could capture this moment with my hands. But for her, my words were enough.

 "Neruppai vida athikam velicham aval,

Aval en idhayathai pidithu kondal. Ennai manithanaka maatrinaal,

Aval illamal ennal vazha mudiyathu,

Aval valkiral endru therivatharku mattrume naan edhaiyelam koduppen."

("She who glows brighter than the flame,

Has captured my heart and made me tame,

Without her, I cannot live,

To witness her presence alone, everything I would give."

Her lips outstretched, and her eyes twinkled at me. "How long have you been waiting?"

I still had my head relaxed against the trunk, so I got up and stretched my arms out, groaning a few times before meeting Darshini's gaze and answering, "Not too long." I stood up and straightened my back. "Even if I had to wait for a year, as long as I get to see you in the end, I'd be willing."

She turned her head to the side, and her hair, long and the color of coal, covered her face, disguising her expression. "Must you speak so sweetly?"

"With you, always," I told Darshini.