Darshini

I couldn't help but chuckle to myself. Even at a time like this, he wasn't about to lose his charm. I wondered, though, how would Karthik leave his room? What about me; how would I be able to leave? Ever since amma found out, she's ordered at least three maids to stay by my side at all times. Two that I had never met until now, so I guessed they were amma's maids, sent to monitor me. The third servant was Aadhira. Truth be told, after she had told of my "scandalous act," I refused to look her in the eye.

But how would I tell him about amma's arrangement? How would I explain the dozens of servants who were coursing through the palace halls and their purpose? Karthik would be heartbroken. My heart welled just thinking about him. This was far from easy, but his willingness reassured me. The question that bothered me, however, was that after finding out what I was going to tell him tonight, would he still be with me?

I'd always been a risk-taker since childhood, but right now, why was I feeling uncertain?

***

I had no need for an oil lantern; the moonlight was enough for me. It led me along the familiar path that my feet had tread upon many times before, and at last, brought me to him. He lay against the tree trunk he so loved, his eyes shut and his chest rising and falling. Both of his hands were behind his head, and one of his legs was bent at an angle while he set the other one straight.

It hadn't been long since the midnight bell sounded. Did he come here earlier, and if so, how?

It felt like déjà vu, this scene. I remember the first time we had met up here - that was a little over four months ago.

"Are you sure nobody comes here?" I had asked as I walked through the field, following behind his steps.

"I'm more than certain," he replied, holding his oil lantern out in front of us to guide the way. I was giddy with excitement, and bouncing up and down like a little schoolgirl. After a while we reached upon a single tree in the middle of this field, its branches spread out and its shade a shelter. It was still early spring, and the tree had just woken with newly found life.

He took out a knife from the pocket of his cotton pants, knelt his forehead to the trunk of the tree, offered a small apology, and carved away. I stood behind him, perplexed by what he was doing. But when he pulled away, I was astonished.

' தங்கம் ' - Thangam (Gold)

" Even gold cannot define her worth

Nor can it amount to the love I feel for her

No, she is much more

Like moon and sun, we are opposites

But without her, there is no me

And likewise "

That was the first poem he'd shared with me.

"Karthik, wake up." Unlike the last time, he woke up with a single call. I was now staring into his eyes, brown and beautiful. It was hard to not notice his pupils dilated as he looked at me, a soft smile on his lips.

"You came," he said, straightening out his back. When he lifted his head and stood up to meet my height, I saw the carving behind him. My lips curved upwards in a smile. "How could I not?" I wrapped my arms around his frame, taking in the warmth and security I felt at that moment. Would it still be this way after what I'm about to tell him?

"I have so much to tell you, but I do not know how to explain everything." My head was hidden in the crook of his neck, my hair doing the job of covering my face for me. A hand was placed on my back, and I shivered at his very touch. Would this hand still be willing to come near me after this?

"Start from the beginning, the night after we met up." And I did.