Karthik

There were no more servants running around the hall, safe for the few palace guards doing their job. Neither were there any guests loitering outside. "Shree, are you ready?"

I held out my hands, and he flew over. I tightened the ribbon on his leg one last time, just for measure. He cooed three times, nudged my palm with his beak, and cooed a fourth time before flying off my hand and over to the windowsill. I had already planted my rope there. All I needed to do now was descend, and that I did, with a cotton bag strapped around my body and Shree the pura following behind.

I was halfway down when the rope gave way, and to not fall and break something, I held onto the pillar I was climbing down from. The rope snapped, its sound louder in my ears than it probably was in reality.

It felt as if I were hugging the pillar, which, I later on realized, was exactly what I was doing. My hands grew sweaty, and I closed my eyes before I began slipping. Down, down, down, that's where I was going. In less than a minute, my feet came into contact with the ground. When I opened my eyes, I saw Shree looking at me, and I was almost certain that he was laughing because he began cooing.

"It must be quite the blessing to have the ability of flight," I muttered, the bird right behind me, still cooing away. I made my way around the palace perimeters through a route that proved to be empty. From there, I began my trek to the palace gates.