Ch.15: Before the Storm.

Song: Goodbye to a World - Porter Robinson

Gabriel opens his eyes and notices that he is sitting under the shadow of (Y/n) favorite's tree on the woods. He remembers when she told him that this is the spot where she found Milky. Lately, Milky and himself where getting along since they had the same goal.

What was the goal again?

He shakes his head and lays his back on the tree looking up at the sky... there was something wrong with it... He could only see a bright light up there, no blue sky, no clouds... no sun whatsoever. He frowns and stands up from his place looking around. He notices that the place was limited, after a few meter from him, there was nothing but a bright light beyond certain point.

He hears the sound of water running down behind him, he turns around and sees a small river separating him to another piece of land. He walks closer to the river and sees the figure of the princess kneeling in the other side of the river while looking down the water with a gentle smile on her lips.

He smiles at the sight of the princess and tries to cross the river but he felt like something was pulling him away every time he tried to step on the water. He frowns and tries to force his way towards her but there was no use... he couldn't cross the river.

"(Y/n)!" he yells out her name "(Y/n)! I can't cross the river, if you could wait for me, I..." he looks around trying to find something that could help him.

"You don't remember, do you?" she mutters looking down at the water.

"What?" he turns to look at her.

She looks up at him and he sees blood running down her face.

His eyes widens at the memory of her laying on the ground of the cold cell... almost dead.

"(Y/n), what happened? Are you okay? I... I found you unconscious, I could barely feel your heart beat a-and then I..." he kneels down in front of the river looking at his hands "I had you in my arms..." he looks up at her "What happened?"

"You never saw it coming, now did you?" she tilts her head.

"Keva... she accused me of kidnapping you" he frowns "I felt a hit in the back of my head... I must be unconscious... so you are"

She smiles and looks at the river in the middle of them.

"If we are in the same situation then why can't we be together?"

He stays silent and looks at the river in front him "I don't understand..."

"...It seems that I'm closer to death than you are" she smiles at him "Isn't that lovely?"

He looks in shock at the woman in front of him and shakes his head.

"No... this can't be possible" he stands up and tries to pass the river over and over again.

"Gabriel..." she sighs.

"Y-You can't die, I just found you!"

"Unluckily for us, I'm not the one who decides that"

"Please..." he looks at her "Y-You can try to come over here"

She shakes her head "I can't..."

He looks at her feeling powerless, no matter how hard he tried to reach to her, there was nothing he could do.

"Please..." he mutters and kneels down "I can't afford to lose you... I don't know what I'll do you without you"

They stay in silence looking at each other eyes, the only sound they could hear was the running water between them.

"Maybe it's not what you'll do but more like what you can do" she tilts her head.

"I don't know..."

"Think... you can wake up, it's more likely that you'll be in a cell, where they will interrogate you and then decide your fate" she looks up at the sky "You can blame it all on Keva, but they won't believe you, now will they?" she giggles "I am the only one whom they'll believe but I'm kind of hanging for my life right now so I can't help you"

"If I fight back they would see me as an enemy" he mutters.

"So what option do you have? So far you are my only hope to live... if I manage to make it out alive and you aren't there for me, then Keva would try to kill me... in a more careful way, of course"

"... Tell the truth" he looks at her "Find my way to the king and queen and tell them everything that happened between us, the day I met you in the garden while Keva was taking your place, your discontent with your place in the royal family, the days where we escaped from the ball to be alone on the garden, on the woods or go to the village for butter beer since your parents banned it on the castle... I could tell them about Milky and your love for the pet... if you don't mind..."

"I think that my parents knowing that I drink beer is the last of my problems" she chuckles looking at him "You'll appeal to the benefit of the doubt, make them wait for me to wake up to confirm or debunk your story"

"If they know that your life is still on danger..."

"Then maybe you won't be executed" she smiles "It's a long shot in the dark but it's the only one we have..." she looks down at the water "It won't be easy, the way to the king and queen will be filled with guards and I'm sure that some of them are in Keva's side... with the attack from the Jade kingdom and in my condition it'll be hard to reach to them"

"I'll make my way to them..."

"...Is going to be a blood bath, isn't it?" she looks at him with a serious expression.

"... I'll do whatever it takes to save your life and if I die then I would like to hold you one last time before leaving"

She nods "I would like that"

The knight stands up "Please... wait for me"

"I'll always wait for you, Gabriel... whether is on life or death" she smiles at him and tilts her head to the side "I love you..."

●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●

Gabriel wakes up breathing heavily, he looks around and notices that he is on a cell. Looking at the bars in front of him, he sees two knights guarding his cell...

He needed to reach to her before Keva kills her.