Broken Love

It’s been a few months since the day Brett expressed his exact feelings to his best friend. Eddy didn’t take it well and left him without any trace or contact. 

He loved Eddy, he really did. Yet life was cruel enough as Eddy never felt the same to him. They have been best friends ever since they were little and it's like their years of building friendship and making it stronger had turned to dust. Brett hated himself for that but he couldn’t take it anymore. He thought maybe if he showed him how he felt, it would change everything but it didn’t. It made things worse. 

It was hard to take it in. It was hard to watch your so-called ‘one and only’ fall in love with someone else. But life goes on. It took him a while to finally heal from this madness and he was starting to feel like himself again. He had a new set of friends, a better life, and a lover. Things were finally smooth sailing until today.

Brett was about to walk home until his friends invited him to come with them. He found out that there was a new pastry restaurant that just opened and they wanted to go there. Brett didn’t mind as he immediately followed them. They were chatting along and Brett couldn’t be more happier. They finally arrived at the restaurant and they were all in awe. It was very beautiful. 

They entered the restaurant and looked for a seat. It was a bit too hard to find an empty table as the whole place was packed with people. Thankfully there was one last table in a corner and all went there. Brett sat beside Mika, his girlfriend, while the rest of his friends sat on the other side. They waited patiently for their turn to order. It didn’t take long until the waiter came to them and asked. “Hello, may I take your order?” 

As Brett was about to order until he froze when he recognized the face of the waiter. He couldn’t believe it. It’s Eddy fucking Chen himself. He stayed frozen without even realizing it. It’s been a while since they’ve seen each other. He felt bad for him though, he looks so tired and sad.

“Uhh, will that be all?” Eddy asked again.

“Oh, um, sorry. I’ll just get some water instead.” Brett replied.

And with that, Eddy left with their order. Everyone stared at Brett making him ask “What?”

“Oh don’t act dumb. Why did you just stare at him like that?” His friend Todd asked. “Do you like him??”

“What?! No, of course not. I have a girlfriend for goodness sake.” Brett retorted. “It’s just that, he’s the guy that I was talking about before.”

“Eddy? Your previous crush?” Mika asked as she held his hand. 

Brett slowly nodded, remembering all those times they’ve been friends. He sighed deeply. Despite finally being happy again without him, he couldn’t help but wonder. What could’ve happened if Eddy did love him back? He shoves those memories in the back of his brain, replacing them with new and better ones. With his new friends, and with Mika.

The whole group became silent. 

“Hey, cheer up. We’re here for the food so think about that.” Ray said as he patted Brett’s shoulder, hoping to make him happy again. With that, Brett smiled again. His friends really know how to make him feel better.

After hanging out together in the restaurant,they all decided to call it a day and left the restaurant. They all bid their goodbyes outside the place and went separate ways. Brett gave a quick kiss to Mika and started walking home. 

As he was walking his way home. He heard a familiar voice calling him. Oh please don’t be-

“Brett!” Eddy called him as he was attempting to catch up with him.

Brett stopped and looked behind him. Brett gave him a smile, a weak one. “Hey, what’s up?”

“Oh, I just wanna ask if you’d like to hang out with me tomorrow? Y’know, for old times sake?” Eddy asked, not looking into his eyes.

“Oh yeah, sure. Let’s go meet at the park, maybe 12?” Brett suggested.

With a smile, Eddy nodded and agreed.

*

Brett was nervous.

Finally a chance to meet up with his old best friend, his old crush, his previous partner. Maybe a chance to rekindle their friendship. He really hoped that things would go well today. 

He was now waiting in the park. He couldn’t even stay still because of this anxiousness in him. Stop overthinking, Brett. It will be fine He said to himself as he sat there. He decided to use his phone for a while to kill time. He took out his phone only to realize it was already 12:20. Typical Eddy, always late on occasions.

At last, Eddy was finally there. Brett squinted his eyes only to see Eddy holding something. He stood up and went up to him and helped him. Eddy immediately apologized as he saw him. Apparently, he ordered some bubble tea. How thoughtful. 

Brett led him to the bench and sat down with him. They both looked at each other, obviously not knowing what to say to one another. Soon enough it was Eddy who broke the silence.

“Hey, I’m really sorry about last time. I acted like a jerk, leaving you like that without anything.” 

“Hey, don’t be. I couldn’t exactly blame you since I did tell you unexpectedly.” Brett gave a nervous laugh.

Soon enough, the two were chatting like nothing ever happened. It felt nice. It was nice to be back with Eddy again. Being able to talk to him normally without feeling as much. But something felt off about him, although he couldn’t really point a finger on it. He shrugged it off and maybe it was just him.

“So, how’s your life with Alona?” Brett asked.

“Oh, uhh, we… broke up.” Eddy blurted out. So that’s why he looked so off. 

“Oh, I’m sorry to hear.”

“It’s alright.”

Once again, silence took over. Brett just feels bad for him. Eddy is a sweet guy, he’d do anything for a girl. But I guess that’s how life goes now. As they were finishing off their drink, Brett felt Eddy’s hand slowly holding his. What the fuck? What is he doing? He tried to move it away, feeling uncomfortable with such a move. And unexpectedly, Eddy pulled him to a kiss. Brett’s eyes widened and immediately pulled away “Bro! What the fuck was that all about?!”

“I’m sorry. I didn’t-  I couldn’t hold myself anymore. I-”

“Eddy, why?!” Brett screamed a bit too loud but he didn’t care. “I thought we were just meeting up as friends?!”

Eddy was starting to tear up as he saw his lips quivering “I’m really sorry. When we left, I felt like the biggest jerk on earth. What kind of a friend am I, leaving his best friend without even warning him?” He sniffled. “I thought I could handle it without you but that idea turned me down. Soon enough I realized it was you I couldn’t live without.”

“Eddy.” Brett whispered “Why would you do this?”

Eddy didn’t respond.

“I was finally starting to live until you showed up again!” Brett spat bitterly. “Did you realize how hurt I was when you left like that?! It was horrible!”

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry that I’m too blind to notice.” Eddy sobbed.

“I had a crush on you for as long as I can remember and you never did. Now that I’m finally moving on, you came to me like this?! What the actual fuck Eddy!”

“Please, give me one more chance. I’ll make it up to you.” Eddy cried as he tried holding Brett’s hand but he shoved it away. Still angry at him.

“Your sorry ass wouldn’t make a difference anymore, Chen.” He said bitterly as he started walking away. “We’re done.”

Brett didn’t look back at Eddy and his pleas. He’s not going to deal with this anymore. He doesn’t want to play this stupid game anymore. It was sickening.

He couldn’t care less about Chen anymore. He was done. All he knows for now is that he doesn’t want to see his face again.

Ever.