Fear

CW- Needle, emotional abuse (I don't really know how to describe it. Basically, some really hurtful things are said).

Myla had hoped that she'd never have to step food in this room ever again. It was the room where the second stage of initiation took place. Here the fear serum would be injected into each initiate, and they would have to work their way through simulations of their greatest fears.

During her own initiation, this was the stage she'd excelled at. Myla had risen through the rankings due to her speed. It was the reason why she made it into Dauntless. But had been by far the hardest stage for her. Bad memories had caused her to avoid it since she became a member of the faction.

Alas, she couldn't escape it forever.

The room was smaller than she remembered. There was only a medical chair, a screen and a few wires. That being said, during initiation she'd spent as little time in there as she could. As soon as Four had taken the wires from her, she had run off. Myla shuddered as she recalled the memory.

"What do you need to do?" Myla asked. "It looks like everything's set up".

Eric, who'd been busy pressing some buttons on the screen, turned to face her. He looked at her sheepishly. "I need to make sure it all works" he replied slowly. In his eyes was an unspoken apology. It was clear that he didn't intend on being the one under the serum.

"Why couldn't you get Four to do it?" she paused. "Let me guess, neither of you wanted to share your darkest secrets?".

"He was pretty adamant that he wasn't going to do it".

"And what makes you think that I want to?". Myla really didn't.

"I know you don't, but I know you can handle it" Eric reassured. He walked over to her and gently placed his hands on her arms. "It's only one fear and I'll be beside you the entire time".

"Why can't you do it?".

"You don't know how to work the machine" he stated, an eyebrow raised. Damn. He got her there.

"If this is your idea of a date then I'll pass in the future" Myla relented. She slumped into the chair. "And if I spew it'll be your fault" she grumbled. That was one of the reasons why she used to run out during initiation. It used to make her ill.

"I'll take that risk" he laughed. "This is a one-time thing, I promise".

Myla scowled at him as he attached the electrodes to her skin. He let out a chuckle when her expression didn't change. Myla didn't flinch as the needle entered her skin.

"Remember, slow down your heart rate. I'll be watching everything on the screen. You can do this easily".

Leaning back, Myla tried to believe him. But her heart was already pumping faster. She closed her eyes willing herself to calm down. It had been a while, but she knew what to do. It would be easy. At least she hoped.

When she opened her eyes, she was no longer in the small room. She was stood in the middle of the bridge above the chasm. The water rushed below, the sound echoing off the walls. In fact, it was the only sound. The bridge swayed a little and water splashed against her skin. Myla had forgotten how real it all felt. For a moment she forgot that it was all just a simulation. But she guessed that was the point.