Nina

Summary: Part one of Nina and Fabian's Summer Adventure

Evie's Notes: Happy New Year! I hope you all had a wonderful celebration . This is the first chapter of my Tears of Gold follow up fic. I hope that you enjoy seeing what Nina and Fabian get up to 💜!

------------------------------------

The bustling streets of Cairo were full of life and color. A young girl pushed her way through one of the many crowded marketplaces holding tight to an older woman's hand. The pair were followed by a young man who grasped tightly to the older woman's other hand so as to not get lost in the crowd. The group stopped at a couple booths to gather supplies for that night's supper, before climbing up the steps to their latest flat.

"Gran, why don't you go lie down for a bit while Fabian and I make dinner?" suggested Nina as she placed the groceries they had gathered in the small kitchenette that came with their flat.

"That sounds good, thank you dear" agreed Evelyn Martin, pressing a quick kiss to her granddaughter's head before heading into the only bedroom of the flat to lay down.

While Fabian's cooking skills had improved over their travels, Nina's had not. The pair had quickly realized that things went much more smoothly, and with less uncontrolled fires, when Nina was in charge of chopping ingredients and washing dishes. The pair worked quickly and soon Nina was calling her Gran back in for their meal. The trio enjoyed their vegetable curry and shared stories about their adventures that day.

Evelyn's doctors had recommended that the woman spend the summer in a warmer, drier climate to help her health. So once the semester wrapped, the trio set off on a whirlwind trip across the Mediterranean and landed eventually in Egypt. Fabian's Uncle Ade had tempted the group with access to his dig site and tickets to some of the most prominent museums. Nina figured that part of the reason the man had made the offer was because of Jasper's recent arrest. The man likely wanted to keep his nephew close by as he mourned the loss of his godfather.

The trio agreed to the trip though, so during the day, Evelyn would explore some of the more residential areas, taking frequent breaks to assist her recovery. While the young couple dove into the world of archeology with great fervor.

Fabian was enjoying the bonus time with his uncle, while Nina was on the hunt for anything she could learn about her ancestor, Amneris. Nina had a notebook full of theories and research that she had gathered in her quest to trace the histories of the chosen ones. The only thing that was bothering her at the moment was the blood connection... she couldn't figure out how she fit into the equation. The family trees were sprawling and Fabian's joking suggestion that they use one of the walls of the flat to hold her research quickly became reality.

While the pair had kept in touch with their friends, and were happy to spend time alone together (excluding Gran of course) and really get to know their significant other without the threat of an ancient Egyptian curse looming over their head. This peace was a rarity for them and Nina was determined to take advantage of every second of it.

"I heard from Patricia today, she and Piper just got home from Piper's summer tour. Patricia is headed to America next week to hang with Eddie and Joy" mentioned Nina as she dried the baking dish Fabian passed her.

"That should be fun! I know Joy and Pep always enjoy their summer adventures... even if it normally ends in some disaster. Eddie better be prepared to bail them out of jail at one point or another. Believe it or not, Peppermint has a tendency to start bar fights when left unattended" laughed Fabian.

"Oh I definitely believe it, '' chuckled Nina. "I can totally see her insulting a stranger and then pouring her drink of choice all over them".
The couple finished the washing up quickly, before settling down to stargaze on their balcony.