5. Despair's First Attack

"So it seems he's finally here."

A girl's maniacal giggle echoes through the nonexistent room.

"With that, No. 7 is no longer here. I can finally begin my first move."

Within her shadowy figure, she snickers.

"Alrighty then,"

She spreads out her arm and a muddy creature emerges from the ground.

"Go, spread despair!"

—————

*Ri—*

*SLAM*

I woke up and tossed over away from my original sleeping position. Now with my arm rested atop my forehead, I stared at the ceiling.

That's weird, I feel like I had a really bad dream. But, I can't remember a single detail from it.

When I tried to remember anything from that dream, all I saw were some shadowy stuff, which left me with a bad feeling inside me.

I shook those thoughts away. I should get breakfast ready.

This time, Nanami didn't appear before, during, or after I made breakfast. It was several minutes later when I came to the conclusion that she wouldn't be coming this time.

I sighed and left the house. I didn't run into Nanami until I was only a few minutes away from getting to Hope's Peak.

"Yo, Nanami. What happened?" I ask, placing my bag over my shoulder.

"Nothing, I just ran into Shirogane-senpai on my way to your place."

"Is that so?" I say, listening to the sounds of her game in the background.

"Mhm, she just ran into me and insisted on walking to school with me. That's why I couldn't make it for breakfast, sorry." she apologizes, not taking her eyes off of the screen for even a second.

"So, where is she now?" If she wanted to walk with Nanami, why isn't she here?

"She said she remembered something she had to do so she left."

What a strange senpai…

We made it to the gates. And when we stepped inside–

"Hinata-kun, Nanami-san!"

Komaeda suddenly appeared and hugged the both of us from behind.

"Good morning!" He greeted us with a big smile.

"Morning…" Nanami replied tiredly.

"Good morning, Komaeda." I removed the bag and greeted him back.

His smile widened.

From the corner of my eye, I see Nanami peeking from her game.

"Wh-What?" I ask both of them.

"You actually acknowledged Komaeda-kun's existence," she answered calmly.

"Is there something wrong with that?" I look to the side.

"You literally ran away and ignored him for the entire day yesterday."

"Well, not exactly the entire day," Komaeda pipes in. "Hinata-kun and I seemed to have gotten along!"

"Really?!" She asks with newfound energy.

"All I did was talk to him for a bit, that's it."

"Is that so… I knew I'd never make friends with a living person. Not to mention someone as hopeful as Hinata-kun. Should I just die again as an apology for assuming we wer–"