An unexpected invite

"You got that James Dean daydream look in your eye
And I got that red lip classic thing that you like
And when we go crashing down, we come back every time
'Cause we never go out of style, we never go out of style..."

Granted I stopped taking music lessons after eighth grade, or else today I would've been able to align my vocals with Taylor's divine voice. Right now I'm practically just shouting out my terrible voice along with the song. Thank God I live with just Tia. I remember how much my mother used to hate it when I sang along pop music. She said it destroyed my vocals and I lost the ability to sing Ranbindra Sangeet. But I couldn't help it. I mean it's Taylor Swift for God's sake!

"So it goes.
He can't keep his wild eyes on the road, mmmmm
Takes me home....."

After a few minutes Tia came out of bathroom and joined me in the my shameless expedition to try and sing along TS. We both danced around the kitchen while preparing dinner cuz that's exactly what grownup, responsible people in their late twenties do.

When we were done we sat down to watch some TV and started flipping through channels while having our evening tea. An old movie started playing on the screen. I wasn't much invested in it so I just stared out of the balcony window. The day started replaying in my head.

"Tia..." I called.

"Hmm?" She replied nonchalantly.

"You think I'm a kiss-ass?"

"A spineless one. What about it?"

"Seriously!"

''What do you want me to say? Oh no Anu! You are not a kiss-ass! The world just isn't as kind as you are" she said in a dramatic tone. "As much as it might be true, another thing which is a fact that you are way too naive to be a 28 year old woman living on her own. All my life I've never seen you take a stand for yourself" she's not wrong but I didn't need the truth rubbed on my face like that.

"I just like to make people around me like me more. And they usually do don't they?"

"Yes, some people genuinely love you for that and some people love you so much that they start taking you for granted"

"Ok! That's not true. I'm not THAT naive to not to realise that someone is taking advantage of me."

"Explain Jenny then." She said with a cold look in her eyes. I opened my mouth to say something but closed it. She was right. And it wasn't worth it.

"That's what I thought " she said after sensing my defeat. "Anu can you tell me how many times you helped her complete her tasks or sometimes ended up doing it yourself just because she had a new migraine? Or how many times you did 'favours' to the co-workers even though it wasn't a part of your job?"

"Then what am I supposed to do? All my life I've been trained to never be rude to people. That's how my whole childhood went and now I'm not able to change that format."

Tia sighed loudly. Maybe this isn't a good time to have an argument. We are both tired and if we get into a fight it clearly won't be a good idea.

"Anu, I just want what's best for you. Ok! Let's not talk about it right now. Let's go out. I need to buy groceries."

"Can we get ice cream on our way back?"

Tia chuckled at my request. That's right! Chocolate ice cream fixes everything. Even sour mood.

When we came back there was a letter waiting on out porch. It looked pretty bulky and big to be a bill or any advertisement of that sort.

"That's weird. Who uses letters these days?" Tia flipped the envelope. "Anu look, it has your name on it."