Back home

It was Sunday morning and instead of being wrapped in my blanket peacefully I was here in an aeroplane staring out of the small window, waiting for it to take off. I've kept my eyes open until now only through coffee but once this thing starts flying I'm going into a coma.

"The flight's gonna take off in a few minutes" Tia said sitting next to me. "Had a chat with the air hostess. Nice lady." I hummed in response. I swear to God, if the "few minutes" don't happen right now!

I felt Tia placing her hand on my shoulder. "Hey" she said, " it's okay. We're in this together" she completed giving me a supportive nod.

"For fuck's sake Tia, stop acting like you're my teenage boyfriend and we're trying to tell our parents that you accidentally got me pregnant. I'm too exhausted right now" I said, rubbing my temple. Since the day we got our applications approved Tia has been extra sensitive towards me. I feel like I didn't get an invitation to my sister's wedding but rather got diagnosed with cancer. She says she's doing this because she isn't sure what is going on in my mind right but in all honesty, the only thing that has been going on in my mind half of the time is how I'm going to face such a huge gathering. So many people that I haven't seen in years are going to attack me with questions the moment they see me. Even imagining that has got me a headache. I need more coffee.

"Chill bozo I was just trying to help just in case you know"

"The only way you can help me right now at this moment is by telling me that this is all a bad dream and I just sniffed cocaine before going to bed and somehow got a fever."

"Well I can't give you false hope though..." saying this she pulled a book out of her bag. I adjusted my seat a bit to get comfortable. I closed my eyes and prepared myself for reality. In three hours I'll be back in Kolkata. With my entire family. Everyone will be there. And...so will he.

******

I don't remember drifting off but one moment I could feel my ears popping and the very next moment I woke up next to Tia while all the other passengers proceeded to get off. I felt an incredible urge to use the restroom. Maybe all the coffee wasn't a good idea after all.

While Tia got our luggage, I used the restroom. After I was done washing my hands I took a look at myself in the mirror. Remember how when we were in school they taught us that sleeping helps us to freshen up and we get energised after a nap? Bullshit! Cuz currently I was looking more tired than I felt before! I possibly can't go home like this. I immediately took out some face wash I was carrying and splashed my face up. I had to do my hair as well because they grow legs and a sense of independence whenever I fall asleep. I checked if I was alone or not and then started aggressively combing my hair. Once I was sure I looked like someone decent enough to go out in public I stepped out.

Tia and I got out bags and headed towards the exit. Once we were out I started looking around. This place has changed a lot since the last time I was here. From a distance I saw a pair of hands waving in the air.

"Didibhai! Didibhai look here!" We both approached him."God I've been standing here for ages! What took you guys so long?" Anni asked.

"Stop whining" I said. "Your sister is back after so long and you can't even wait a few minutes?"

"What does that have to do with me? I didn't invite you" Anni said while helping us load our bags.

"Aww Anni, aren't you happy to see both your sisters back home?" Tia said, squishing Anni's cheeks with both her hands.

"For God's sake Tia didi please stop! People are watching" Anni said, getting in the front seat of the taxi. I and Tia laughed. It's been a while since I've even talked to Anni so I was a bit stunned to see how much he had grown up. If I'm not wrong he was going to give his 12th boards by next year. People always say that girls grow up faster than boys but compared to Anni I used to look like a maggot in twelfth grade.