The Secret History

I was going to go back in when Jethu took my hand and started to talk about me to the guests.

"She works in a publishing house. She's an editor and also writes sometimes. We've read her articles so many times. It makes me so proud that both my daughters grew up as such brilliant young women!" Jethu boasted. I couldn't help but feel warmth filling up my chest. As much as I hated being the centre of attention, it felt nice to be bragged about by him like that.

"She's your younger brother's daughter right?" An elderly woman, who I assumed was Preet's mother said. Her hair was neatly styled to a low bun with a single streak of grey hair. She had a poise look. Smile lines all around her lips and her calm eyes matched those of Preet's. A thick line of red vermilion complemented her look. "Do you live here beta?"

"No aunty, I live and work in Delhi" I said, instantly thinking if I should've just addressed her as 'ma'am'. There's this thing about the elders that scares me the most. You can never tell when you accidentally end up offending one. People who give all the shit to the newer generation for being intolerant should try cracking a joke in front of brown parents.

"Oh really, that's nice," she said.

I noticed Chitra di sitting uptighly next to her. Her gaze fixated at the ground and occasionally looking here and there before going back to the ground.

What's with her?

I excused myself and went to the kitchen. Ma was back pouring more cups of tea while Tia stood next to the window with her back towards us.

"Tia, please take this tray out, '' Ma said but Tia didn't reply. She was too busy chewing on her thumb. She was lost deep in her thoughts so I went up to ma and took the tray from her. Although hesitant at first, she handed me the tray with snacks rather than the tea and took it out herself. Ma stayed outside this time to join the other elders so when I came back inside alone, Tia was still at the same place. It was odd of her to be this absent minded that too with the commotion going around. I went up to her and gently tapped her on the shoulder. I guess I caught her off guard cuz she looked at me quite shocked.

"What was that about?" I asked. I looked at her now decapitated thumb nail.

"What was about what?" She asked.

"You know, outside. You saw Dev bhaiya and ran inside like you saw a ghost-"

"First of all, what in the fresh hell is he doing here anyways? Is your sister marrying Preet ir him? I thought your sister's in-laws were here to see her and as far as I remember, he isn't related to Preet. Seriously, is he Preet's nanny? Why is he everywhere?" She asked angrily in one go.

"I told you," I said, trying to calm her. "They're extremely good friends. Plus you and I are always together too" at this point I couldn't hold my suspicions in. There was something I didn't know.

"Tia!" I raised my voice. It must've taken her by surprise cuz now I could see I had her full attention. "Is there something I should know...?"

"What- I don't even- I don't know what you mean" she said doing a bad job at faking her oblivion. She's a shitty actress. Always have been.

"There is something!" I exclaimed. "Oh my God Tia! What did you do?" My over excited voice toned down to a whisper.

"Look, sometimes..." Tia said rethinking almost every word leaving her mouth, "there are things...and situation."

"Oh God just cut it alrea-"

"Ok listen!"

February 21st, 2011.