11. out on the prowl

Somehow, school seemed to stop being a major part of my life. 

Sure, I went there most days. But my mind was always somewhere else. Today, Peter and Roman had instructed me to meet them outside of the school because they had some sort of plan. I could only hope it was to kill this 'vargulf.'

I had been talking to Shelley more. I think she's one of the sweetest people I've ever met. 

"So, how did you meet?" The electronic voice of her phone said. 

"Just... through friends. Nothing special." I replied. She typed for a moment. 

"Do you love him?"

I'd thought about this question before, clearly not long enough. 

"I don't know, Shell." I finally said. I desperately needed to change the subject.  "What about you?" I nudged her with my elbow. "You ever been in love?" Her face changed to a pout. 

"No. I don't think I ever will be." She typed. 

"Oh, now that's not true. I can't imagine anyone wouldn't love you." I spoke. And I was being honest about it, too. Shelley was one of the best humans I'd ever met. Anyone would be insane not to love her. 

Roman offered to give me a ride home along with Peter. Despite my unwillingness, he insisted. 

We saw Peter standing by Olivia Godfrey's black truck, and he waved us over. 

"Hi, Peter." The animatronic voice of Shelley's phone said. 

"Hey, Shell, hey Stevie." He greeted. 

"What're the oranges for?" I asked, using my head to motion at the two oranges in his left hand. 

"Why, for juggling, of course." He responded in a chipper British accent, beginning to juggle the two. I dug through my bag, pulling out a third and throwing it into the juggle of oranges.  

"Alright, he's got two, now three, can he do it?" Peter said, focusing heavily on the task at hand. "Oh, and he's doing three at a time! Oh no! No!" Peter yelled, falling to his knees in defeat as he screamed. Shelley and I laughed as she clapped. 

"He doesn't do it! He doesn't do it!" Peter yelled. 

"Terrible." A voice from behind me said. I felt an arm sling over my shoulder. A muscular arm, that of a tall person. "Got any other tricks?" I freed myself from Roman's embrace, diving under his arm. 

"Not with the ladies present." 

"Have you guys met my cousin, Letha?" 

"No." Peter said, reaching out his hand for her to shake. "Peter."

"Hey." She replied, without reaching out to shake his hand. Peter slowly lowered his hand after a moment. 

"Uhm... Letha." She greeted, turning to face me. I smiled at her. 

"Stevie." 

"If the circus is over, let's get going." Roman said, referring to Peter's horrible juggling. 

One by one, we filed into the car. Shelley went first, sitting in the back. Then Letha, sitting beside her. Roman and Peter took the drivers and passenger seat, meaning I was stuck sitting on the floor between Roman and Peter. 

About five minutes into the drive, Roman glanced back at Letha. 

"What?" She asked. 

"Remember that guy lying out in the road the night  of the dance? the one who saw Brooke Bluebell?" Peter and I shot each other confused looks. Letha nodded.