We're 30?

(Above is a picture of what I imagine Nathan to look like)

TW - Swearing? We expect that from Virgil though

When Virgil usually woke up in the mornings he stretched his arms like a cat – he had the room to do that in his own bed anyway. This particular morning however Virgil's arms were interrupted from their normal routine when he tried to stretch so he just opened one eye to see what was in his way. All he could see was red. Before panic set in Virgil reached out as far as he could in front of him – the red wasn't blood but instead it was a slightly ripped t-shirt of... someone? When he finally opened both eyes and looked up he recognised the face a centimetre away from him.

So, of course, Virgil screamed. "Huh? What the fuck? Fuck you! Fuckidy fuck fuck fuck..." Virgil thought he was being nice by allowing a classmate he hadn't talked to before to stay the night when he needed to and now that same classmate was in his bed and cuddling him! Why did he think that was a smart idea? Was the whole validation thing just a sick plan or something?

Roman was awoken by a crash as he was pushed off the bed onto the floor, his head hurting from hitting a nearby accent table. "Ugh... Ow? What was that?" From Roman's point of view he had been sleeping on the floor for the entire night – and Virgil looked like he'd just seen a ghost. "What did you hit me with – a brick?"

"Why were you in my bed?" Virgil was trying to keep his scream under control but he was ultimately failing. Roman silenced at that and blinked slowly, a hand still on his head but he looked confused. He probably hadn't seen Virgil in an active panic attack before so Virgil really needed to ground himself. Focus on his environment... But the environment seemed different. The bedroom was a dark red and black with two pride flags on a nearby dresser – a rainbow and a trans flag – the texture of the bed was even different. This definitely wasn't Virgil's bedroom.

"Wait - who are you?" Roman mumbled, finally standing again and sitting gently on the bed just in case the other man would start screaming again. Slight pink was on his cheek and there were maybe a couple more smile marks but Roman just looked like the normal Roman.

There was a second of silence as Virgil tried to gather how to speak and what the question meant. "Virgil Grimm? You were just... in my room for the night after a group project." Something had happened. This was not the same universe Virgil fell asleep in. Roman's eyebrows furrowed before the look of realisation glazed over his eyes.

"You're Virgil?" A smile reached his face as he said that, he coughed out a laugh as he grabbed a sparkley red phone. "You look different. Like a good different – don't worry – wait..." Roman brought out the camera of his phone and gave it to Virgil. He just stayed silent to let Virgil process all the changes. First point of happiness was when he realised his hair was dyed purple – he knew he wanted purple hair but that wasn't allowed by his mother due to his age, now he had it he realised how much he suited platinum purple. He had wrinkles under his eyes and smile marks either side of his nose. But the most important thing was that he looked masculine. He looked like a cisgender guy. Was he cisgender? But wait, he looked older too. "Do you like it?"

Virgil took another look at Roman in his shock. Yeah, he had smile marks and his caramel hair seemed even curlier, he didn't look like a teenager either. He looked quite a lot more toned and paler in this version of himself, and the growing stubble reaching at his sideburns had become an entire beard that needed shaving. There was only one way to find out what dimension he and his classmate was in – the phone calendar.

"What year is it?" Roman perked up and sat next to Virgil, paying attention to the screen as Virgil desperately fumbled to find a phone calendar. All the logos Virgil thought he recognised has changed. But eventually he found a calendar – the year was 2036. The two men were so confused they couldn't make a comment. "Wait... What's the phone screen?"

Roman grabbed his phone again to look at the background all these different apps lay on. It was him, smiling with a hand in his hair, his other hand wrapped around Virgil's waist. Virgil was smiling too and held up a giggling child. They had a child in a photo with them.

"DAD!" A voice screamed and knocked on the closed bedroom door. Virgil and Roman looked at each other before Roman cautiously murmured a 'come in'. And there was the boy in the photo. He had curly hair like Roman's but it was a deep brown like Virgil's instead of blond, his eyes were bright blue like Virgil's too but his entire face structure was that of a smaller Roman. The child gave a puppy-eyes look. "Can I have pancakes for breakfast?"

As if he was some kind of professional actor Roman marched out of bed and waltzed over to the mix between him and Virgil, scooping him up like Virgil did in the photo. The child looked younger in the photo than in this real life, maybe it was an old photo, but by all estimates this boy - probably the pair's son - looked to be about 5 or 6. "What's the schedule for today babe?" Roman said and turned to Virgil, obviously knowing he wouldn't know the answer but he was keeping up the act. "Do you have school?"

"It's Saturday?" The boy answered back with a tilted head. Yeah, this kid was definitely about kindergarten age. Roman nodded as if he knew that, ruffling the boy's hair and smiling softly. "Can I still have pancakes?"

"Of course." Roman nodded and placed the boy on the ground again, but instead of walking to the kitchen the child instead jumped on the bed and smiled at his other father. Virgil smiled back – although still confused and panicking. He was seemingly responsible for a child and Roman was acting like it was normal? Who could even do that? At least the boy seemed none the wiser and just reacted to his purple father's panic with a smile and he started to cuddle up like a penguin. The look of Virgil holding and allowing a small child to cuddle him made Roman smile. After some silence Roman seemed to attempt another revelation tactic. "Hey, Nathan?"

The boy perked up and climbed towards Roman again. "Yeah Dad?" There was no response, Roman just burst into a bigger smile. Nathan seemed to be speaking quieter than he was when he was requesting pancakes. "Daddy's shakey so we need to be hush-hushy..." Nathan spoke as if these were words he already knew, demonstrating the childish words by shaking and then bringing a finger to his mouth. "Can I have pancakes though?"

Roman nodded again and Nathan ran downstairs happily. The father was slower following and looked back at Virgil when he reached the doorway. "This is... weird." He laughed, checking the nearby area when he heard Nathan shout for pancakes again. "I think he's our son though. I'm sure of it. I'll make sure he doesn't die, just take your time to get ready." Roman smiled softly again and grabbed a nearby golden ring from his side of the bed before following the small child out of the room.