five.

chapter five - lyrics. . .

It was the 6th of September and Nebula Wave had started rehearsing a few days ago

It was the 6th of September and Nebula Wave had started rehearsing a few days ago. They were back in the studio, writing, practising, and planning.

Winnie sat behind her keyboard, several sheets laid out in front of her. Allen was tuning his bass, and Halley and Alex were comparing a lyric variation.

"Hey, Valina," Winnie called the harmony guitarist, who turned around and smiled.

"Yeah?"

"Can you harmonise on D major, A major, and B minor for me?" Winnie started playing the chords in a loop and Valina played a few arpeggios before harmonising with the pianist. After a few bars, Valina added small licks all throughout the D major scale.

"Hey, this sounds great!" Alex said and flipped his drumsticks once before accompanying the two girls with a simple beat. Halley nodded along and Allen began playing the chords' core note. Looking at her notebook, Halley hummed along, finding the key.

Kei and Tina stood and watched their friends try out little things with these three chords and when Halley found a nice melody, she signalled for Winnie to stop. The dark-skinned girl looked at her friend and grinned. Then she turned to Tina.

"That's a perfect example of how we start writing our songs," she said to the heavily impressed girl.

"This effortlessly?!"

"Most of the time, we struggle a bit with finding good variations so the song doesn't get boring but if we all have enough inspiration, this is how it works."

"Halley," Allen said, "Could you sing that melody again? Maybe with la la la?"

"Sure." Halley hummed the tune and Winnie tried to find the notes. Once she'd found them she told Allen. He nodded and played a bassline, slightly different from before, matching Halley's melody.

"This has lullaby vibes," Valina grinned and harmonised on the third. Halley stopped and turned to Alex, whispering to him. The others looked at them expectantly. Then, the singer turned around.

"So, I wrote two songs last night at like two am, wanna hear them? I can't guarantee they're any good but the first one fits this melody pretty well. And for the second one, I only have chords and the bridge."

Winnie nodded enthusiastically and started playing the melody.

"Join whenever you want," she said and Halley smiled.

♪ shadows loom around your room and the silence feels so loud. your thoughts run wild through your head like a child, a ferociously screaming crowd ♪

Tina smiled and Winnie silently applauded her friend for coming up with such a line. She felt like Halley had taken a look into her heart and pulled those feelings out of her. Winnie was a usually happy girl and never let those negative thoughts come close to her but sometimes, they were too much. And she knew that the others felt that, too. Judging on the sudden change in Tina's expression - from an awestruck grin to a soft, almost bittersweet smile - the hispanic girl understood just right what Halley had tried to bring across.