☆ Attack From Above ☆

Azriel was about to embed a knife into someone very deeply. His anger was quick and sharp, but it was not noticeable. He barely grimaced as another male spoke up, offering yet another needling detail. With one hazel glance, the Illyrian silenced themself, and he released the tightness in his face.

"I have matters to attend to," he fibbed, "send me any further comments to me later." He walked out before they could respond, his wings twitching in the cool breeze. Dry grass crunched beneath his feet, his shadows crawling about his neck. Azriel wasted no time as he strided to a very familiar cabin, one marked and carved with age, which stood alone and prominent among the swarm of dark Illyrians.

His leather boots thunked against wood as he climbed the stairs and crossed the small, covered porch. The door was open before he could reach for the handle.

"Oh," a small voice said, and he winced. He dashed the shadows that kissed his shoulders away before crouching in front of the child, forcing a smile to his face. "Don't do that, I already know you don't like me."

His smile fell away. "Where did you get that from?"

The girl, who stared at him with the same face as Eblis's, rustled her wings defiantly despite his soft tone. "I can tell. You don't like me because you can't smile at me without thinking about it."

"Lilith," he continued in the same tone, even though the words struck him deep, "it is not about you. There are a lot of things going on right now." Lilith-Princess Lilith, rather-stood a little taller. Her black hair rustled with a light wind, and he tucked it behind one of her tiny, pointy ears with his scarred fingers.

Her face pinked. "I'm sorry, Azriel. I just miss Mom."

"I do too." He regretted the words as soon as Lilith's expression crumpled and she seemed near to crying. He pressed her into his arms, a warmth swarming where she curled against him, her shoulders shaking.

"Why'd she make me leave?" His hand wrapped around her small head, pulling her up. Her legs dangled below as if she were not used to being picked up-that she did not know to wrap her legs around his waist. "Does she not love me? I thought she was my real mom."

He thought carefully, entering the cabin and shutting the door and her soft sobs filled the room. "Of course she loves you. She loved you so much, she got you out of that horrible place."

"Why didn't she come with?"

"Because." He did not know. Her time was nearly up, and there had been nothing to tell him she'd been successful. Feyre was within Velaris once more, so they were effectively blind of all things going on within Hybern and of the armies far, far above them. His spies could not infiltrate, and despite everything, he'd been forbidden from going to get her himself. That, and he'd been handed Lilith.

Eblis's child.

"Because," he continued, "she has unfinished business."

Lilith sniffled. "When do you think she'll be finished?"

"Soon," he promised, because he was not sure how to handle a child, and because he was not sure of much of anything else, either. Lilith nodded. He sighed. "I'm going to take you to Velaris, alright?"

The girl glanced at him, violet eyes twinkling faintly in a way he wished to see Eblis's do again. "Do I get to see the High Lady?"

"Feyre would love to see you."

Lilith smiled through red puffy cheeks and eyes, and he winnowed a moment later.

Sunlight washed over them, and he set Lilith down. Her tiny wings fluttered a tiny bit, and she took off towards the Townhouse he'd landed before, the green copper roof glinting in the light. He shut the gate to the small, manicured yard behind her, following inside. Somehow Feyre was already there, smiling at the small girl as they hugged briefly.