Chapter 1 "Siege"

A Lorinthian sits on a couch, hunched forward and elbows planted on her knees, her fingers interlocked. She was at least 7 feet in height, with two fingers and two thumbs on each hand. She looked forward at a Human Female, reclined in a chair of her own and holding a clipboard in one hand, a pen firmly in the other. The Lorinthian writhed back and forth on the cushion; not because it was uncomfortable, quite the opposite; it was too comfortable.

Human; "Well, Kai... An entire Terran year leads up to this moment."

Kai massaged her face with both hands briefly, slightly frustrated. Her voice was deep, but commanding.

Kai; "Vam bon'eh sli'dier."

The Human looked up from her clipboard, hearing Kai speak in her native tongue, and responded with near equal fluency.

Human; "Humb'aba oth'law maj magh."

Kai sighed as she looked down once more, clenching her fists and gently tapping them together.

Human; "Wa qav nild os'rilq jawp jih thil'hejwl."

Kai looked back up to the Human and swallowed a knot in her throat before speaking.

Kai; "... My name, is Kai'don Juran."

The Human smiled as she listened to Kai speak Commoner.

Kai; "I am a Lorinthian... Hatched in Qo'nos on Lorinthia... I am..."

She looks away a moment towards the door, crossing her legs uncomfortably.

Kai; "Do I have to say my age?"

Human; "I'm the only one here."

The Human responded with a gentle smile, as Kai turned back to face her.

Kai; "... And I'm six hundred Terran years... Sixty in Lorinthian years."

The Human nodded with a wide grin, setting down her clipboard and then holding out her hand, as if to receive a handshake. Kai looked at her hand a moment before extending hers, taking care not to make her grip too tight.

Human; "You're barely applying pressure, am I right?"

Kai simply nodded.

Human; "Lorinthia must have a very high gravity, because that's the most firm handshake I've ever had."

Kai barely smiled, though it was already difficult to tell because of her mandibles.

Kai; "Thank you... For being so patient with me."

Human; "It's my job, dear. Don't forget to come back next week so we can work on your writing."

Kai nodded before standing, towering over the Human, heading for the door out of the room. The door opened before she could open it herself, and she stood before Asuka and Flint. She loomed over the both of them as well, though Flint barely reached her height because of his hat. Flint tipped his hat and Asuka reached out her upper right hand for a handshake, which Kai shook.

Asuka; "I was hoping I'd catch you here... Congratulations, Kai."

She said this with a smile, and Kai returned the smile, shuffling a bit to the side so the Human could leave the room.

Kai; "Thank you for being so gracious."

Flint; "Least we can do, partner. 'Sides, it keeps Asuka out of the bars."

He laughs a bit, and Asuka shook her head. Kai smiled but didn't laugh, partly because she'd no idea what a bar was. She just nodded with a smile, and just a twang of awkwardness.