Winning a Battle, Losing the War

Season 1 Episode 3, 00:00

~We live our lives on the surgical unit, 7 days a week, 14 hours a day. We're together more than we're apart. After a while, the ways of residency.. become the ways of life.~

I was sleeping peacefully in the my new home, that was until I was abruptly woken up by yelling coming from my new not so silent roommates. 

I got out of bed and rushed towards the door, walking out quickly because I wanted to know what was going on.

"Why is everyone screaming?" I whispered rubbing my eyes. 

"George has a bigger room." Izzie shouted, causing me to bloke my ears. Meredith was hurry down the stairs trying to get away from them but they didn't get the memo as they followed.

"My room is like too inches bigger." George rolled his eyes as I began to go down the stairs.

~Number 1~

Izzie scoffed at his comment. "You have a bigger closet."

"So what? Why is everything a competition?" George turned towards me. "Matilda, do you care that I have a bigger closet."

~Always keep score~

"George, I'm sorry. But all I care right now is getting myself a cup of coffee." I said while keeping my eyes closed.

~Number two, do whatever you can to outsmart the other guy.

"Everywhere else is filled with Meredith's moms boxes." Izzie argued as I kept following them, not really sure why but I had just woken up so I didn't really know where I was anyways.

George turned to Meredith as she walked out of the laundry room. "Meredith? When is your mom coming back to town, anyways? Because maybe we can out her boxes in the storage."

"Or unpack a few things- make this place more homey. Some throw pillows, some lamps, a few paintings." Izzie spoke as we all went up he stairs following Meredith, me being the last one of course. 

"Oh, paintings would be nice." George agreed.

Izzie nodded as she kept going with her idea. "You have all this amazing stuff packed away. I found this box with tapes of your mother performing amazing medical procedures."

We kept following this time up to the bathroom. "Really? We should watch them. Do you want to watch-"

George was cut off by Meredith slamming the door in our faces. She opened quickly, grabbed Izzie's cup of coffee, then closed it once more.

"Hey, what did I do?" I asked her as I said barely anything to make her upset or annoyed since I woke up.

George and Izzie went up to the door as George began to talk. "Meredith, do you want some privacy?"

"I think that's what she's trying to do, George." I grabbed his cup of coffee now and headed back to my room to get ready for my day.

~Number three- don't make friends with the enemy.~

--------------------------------------------

"Fools on bikes killing themselves." Bailey complained as she walked all of us to our first medical event of the day. "Natural selection is what it is."

"So what's up with the Nazi? Is she off her meds?" Alex leaned over and asked George and I.

"Pay some more respect, that's our resident, Karev." I defended her as he just rolled his eyes and ignored my comment.

"You never heard of the race?" George asked him but he was interrupted by Bailey talking to the chief.

"Chief, 'dead baby' bike race started 20 minutes ago."