chapter ten

“So I guess this means we’re moving then.” Tom sadly expresses.

“Apparently not,” Tom and I whip our heads up to Dad, “It seems as though he is building just behind us, a much larger complex though.”

“What? But he’s only one man; this house would be a castle to him!” I state. I think to the large block of land behind us, it would have to be at least double the size of our lot. But then I think, ‘Just another rich man who wants his name and face on something.’

“Who knows...” Dad finally answers.

We all part ways and I dwell on why a single man would need a mansion, there has to be another reason than to simply be known as the mayor with the mansion. Not to mention how calm he was at the election, bored even. I need that file, I could go in now, but Dad is in there organising paperwork. If he saw me searching around in the drawers he would question me, then find another place to hide it.

When I pass my mother’s room I hear a glass being hit gently against another as in a toast, but it’s only her pouring another glass of wine. If only I could go in there and pull her to her senses, if she has any left that is.

Getting to bed is probably the best thing that has happened today. The soft sheets drape over my body like curtains and my hair lies around me like a sea of hair.

Well, isn’t that going to be nice, Mr Cyone living behind us, probably being able to see right into my room, I guess it’ll be just like old times with the other stylists. How fun.

I shuffle around my room for a bit and look out my window, trying to imagine what it will be like with a mansion behind us. One thing is for sure though; I’ll be needing blinds on the already blurred bathroom window. I’m taking no chances with this creep. Maybe I should even get blinds on the outside...

No way could he create a whole mansion behind us, there is no way he has enough furniture, or money, to fill those rooms! Talk about a waste of space! He better not expect us to give a neighbourly ‘good morning’ or lend him our tools – he comes anywhere near that, prepare the locking of all doors and windows. Maybe I should talk Dad into erecting a large fence... with a possibility of electricity running through it... That ought to keep him on his side and us in safety.

I lie down on my bed and close my eyes, relief coming to them after a long day. Distant thunder starts up and the rain pours down mercilessly, every now and then my room lights up as powerful lightning strikes. I’m getting real tired of this rain, the constant pitter patter of it on the tiled roof and getting cooped up inside for my days, oh, and can’t forget being grounded for two months.

Once my bladder urges me to get up I begin to wander around downstairs before grabbing something to eat. Everyone seems to be keeping to themselves so I resort to some leftovers. Meatloaf is the only thing that stares at me so I go to the cupboard and grab some peanuts. The salt is overbearing at first, but when I get further into the packet it eases.

If peanuts have a smell, then it must have drawn Tom downstairs because he soon stands staring into the fridge. The meatloaf stares back and he moves to the pantry. He pulls out a packet of chips and disappears upstairs. Both of us didn’t pass one word in his time in the kitchen.

Instead of letting the rain get to me too, I do something that surprises even myself. I walk out the back door, a bottle of water in hand and run to the evergreen that stands tall above my window. The ground squishes beneath me as I take a seat on the grass, but then change to a crouching position leaning on the trunk. Only a few drops get through the large leaves. I’m thankful for that because I am seriously sick of being wet all the time. Wind gushes past me, bringing fresh air to my nose. My body lets out a sigh of relief to finally breathe the moist air.