chapter eleven

It’s funny how sometimes a person’s confidence can bulge and make it seem like everyone else is minor, powerless in a way. I guess that’s what I am now.

I sit at a large table next to Tommy and my father’s vice. Across the room, at another, larger table is the opposition, with Mr Cyone at the head of it. This dinner is important to all the politicians, and both sides are required to attend to show respect and certainly know who is now boss. The other side of the dinner is just to rub the loser’s face in their loss. And of course, Mr Cyone is going to intensify that.

I search the opposition table and find Alex and his father. George Mann’s face is traced with sourness, like he just had a good drink of curdled milk. I meet eyes with Alex and he gives a sad smile, then mouths, ‘You look nice.’ I feel a deep blush run over me.

I am wearing a designer Yves Saint Laurent lambskin dress in a bright shade of red, like his wall. It was given to me from Carrie as my Birthday present, knowing my weakness is designer clothes.

The high neck feels tighter as my blush deepens and I look back up in his direction to meet Mr Mann’s stare. I stir uncomfortably and guiltily look away.

“Eat.” Tom hisses. “Or I’ll eat it for you.”

I turn my look to the generous plate of rich food that lies on the table. I pick up my fork and shovel a small piece of meat and salad into my mouth, but that’s all I can manage before nausea comes over me when Mr Cyone laughs. He makes sure everyone can hear his laughter too. I throw the fork down and push my plate towards Tom. Tom gratefully accepts the charity and cuts off a huge piece from the steak. I prefer my mineral water.

It’s weird how stress and nerves can kill your appetite, and when they pass I wish I hadn’t given away the meal. My stomach hungers for food and all I can scavenge is a raw piece of potato Tom rejected and now sits on the edge of his plate. I’m surprised he can actually fit all that rich food in his stomach. I’ve never seen him eat so much.

I feel guilty for not telling Tom about Mr Cyone’s plans, but I don’t want him to worry. My family owes him a childhood. He’ll find out soon anyway, I just have to wait for the most opportune moment and expose the new mayor. However, what is in the file can sometimes just be an idea... I could give false information, get everyone panicked and get Dad in huge trouble for not having enough security on the file.

I let a sigh slip through my lips and sit in silence as many boring conversations surround me. The rain outside buckets down and a large crack of thunder echoes through the sky. I check that Mr Mann isn’t looking and take a peep at Alex. His head is turned on the side and he is speaking to Josephine’s mother. I wonder why Josephine isn’t here. The offspring of the politicians are invited, but only a few have turned up. I’m glad she didn’t turn up. The thought of her flirting with Alex makes my stomach drop and yet again she would have taken something away from me.

My eyes tear to the window as a strong bolt of lightning lights the night sky. It’s like a crack in a deep ocean of black. An ocean that has no beginning or end. The rumble that follows it seems to quieten the room down, but Mr Cyone soon starts up a loud conversation, wine glass in hand.

I look down to my lap and pull out the file from my black and white tote bag. I keep it in little view, hidden underneath the tablecloth. I am ready to strike to a standing position once the next lightning bolt strikes.

After a few minutes of waiting it finally comes, I inhale deeply and take a stand. My table turns to me, but Mr Cyone keep talking. Only half of the opposition’s table has their eyes on me, including Alex, but this is good enough for me. I boom my voice above their and begin, my hand clutching the yellow file at my side.

“Politician men and women,” I start off respectfully and take a nervous breath. “I believe our community has made a huge mistake.” I let that hang, their confused faces urging me to continue. Mr Cyone seems to have finally stopped talking and is slowly turning to me.

“During his speech, Mr Lloyd Cyone forgot to mention an...” I rack my brain for the right word, “Important item in his future plans. One I think we should all know.” I give a hatred stare at the new mayor; his eyes are filled with suspicion.

“Get on with it!” An obviously drunk man shouts.

I take another settling breath. “Your new mayor has created something called ‘Population Control’.” I look to Mr Cyone, his eyes are now wide and horror and guilt.

“This ‘Population Control’ consists of two things – eliminating the current healthily numbered population and murder.” Gasps go about the room. “I believe we need to change something, Mr Cyone. Don’t you?” I bite at him.

“Liar. She lies. Trying to frame such a made-up statement on your mayor, just because your Daddy didn’t win.” Josephine’s mother scoffs, she spits at the word ‘Daddy’.

“I have the file here, maybe you should check for yourself.”

Open mouths seems to eat the room. “How did she get that?” I try to hide the file, but it’s too late. Many people start yelling, but darkness falls over the room before it can escalate too much. The lights go out and I feel Tom grab my arm. Weak moonlight shines into the room and I think this is my chance to leave, before candles start providing light for the room. I shove the file back into my bag and run over to Dad, my heels clicking on the floor as I go. Tom still has my arm and I am surprised that we didn’t fall to the ground in a heap. I latch onto Dad’s arm and retreat with him, Tommy in close tow.

~      ~      ~

“That was a disaster.” Dad is almost hyperventilating when we reach home. His face is stricken with worry and hands run through his hair.

“I-I didn’t know they would react like that!” I stammer.

“You never know. That’s why you shouldn’t do that! It’s everyone for themselves in politics, you should know that by now. Goodnight.” I don’t get time to reply before he disappears upstairs, Tom follows him.

I slump into the leather seat and hold my head in my hands. What have I done? If they won’t believe me and turn against Mr Cyone, then I need to at least tell my friends.

I go up stairs as fast as I can in my heels and race to my phone. I send a mass text to Lily, Rose, Carrie, and almost all my contacts and hope they don’t think I’m crazy. It’s not long before I am crashing into slumber, still dressed, laptop nestled in my lap.

There’s one question that I still need answered though: What if Mr Cyone does go ahead with this? How do we survive?