[ 021 ] luckiest person alive.

— CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE.
luckiest person alive.

ODESSA IS ALIVE, THANKFULLY. But she remains unconscious for three more days. Hershel allows Rick to sleep in the house to be close to his daughter. He sleeps on a pallet on the floor by her side. He knows it won't have bothered her if he sleeps in the bed beside her but if she wakes sometime while he's asleep it might not have end well.

Hershel stitches up the self-inflicted cuts on her arms and puts antibiotics in her IV to help battle the infection. Lori and Carol clean her off to the best of their abilities. Hershel checks to make sure she has no broken bones from her fall.

The group has a lot of problems.

There is Odessa who's in her coma. Hershel says she should come out in a couple days but he can't determine exactly when. And there's Beth who hasn't left her bed since the barn, she only leaves it to use the bathroom. And then there's Randall.

Yes, Randall.

Hershel, Glenn, and Rick returned with the young man days ago when they came back from town. He has serious leg damage after jumping from a building and landing on a spiked fence.

If Odessa were awake, she would have called him a dumbass, an idiot. Which he is both. Shane and Rick plan on taking him eighteen miles out in two and half days. Hershel performs surgery on his leg inside of his bard but there's absolutely no recovering from a wound like that in a world like this.

─────────

In her coma, she dreams.

Odessa's eyes peel open. She's immediately met by an open wheat field. Confusion falls over her. She sits up, eyes darting around.

What the hell?

A soft breeze passes over her.

She stands and turns in circles, looking around the empty field. She can't see anything. As far as her eyes can see is wheat swaying in the wind.

She decides to walk in effort of finding something. Anything.

It's an odd place: this coma dream.

She stuffs her hands in her pockets and just continues to walk.

That is until her foot falls onto a piece wood. The thump sound on her ears then the sound of a door opening. Then she's falling.

She screams.

She tries desperately to grasp onto something, anything, but the only things surrounding her is air and darkness.

When her body hits something soft, she gasps. For a moment, she lays still. Her brows suddenly crease when she noticed the familiar ceiling of the room she and Carl were placed in when they first arrived at the farm. She sits up quickly, eyes moving to the right of her. Beside her, is herself. But she is unconscious, pale, deathly.

Odessa tilts her head as she examines herself. She looks so insanely frail, as if she hasn't eaten in days. Truthfully, she hasn't.