CHAPTER TWO

When 1:45 rolled around, I grabbed my purse and signed out of my computer. On my way out, I told Lily I was taking my lunch break. Then I walked down the Chicago streets until I was in front of Paula's Place.

Quinn was waiting for me at one of the outdoor tables.

"How'd the interview go?" I asked, sinking into the empty seat across from her and setting my purse on the ground.

Quinn folded her menu and set it down in front of her. She was smiling. "Good. I don't think we can use her story though."

"What, why? What was it?"

"It was about her damn dog that she trained to jump through hula-hoops." She blew out a breath. "I swear, I need to stop listening to the NBC journalists. They're a bunch of privileged assholes." Our waitress set down two glasses of water. Quinn's eyes followed her as she walked away.

I smirked. "Yeah, just because you slept with one doesn't mean they'll give you good leads."

Quinn looked back at me. "Hey, best fucking sex of my life, and she said this one was a good one."

"Mhm, and she also said she'd call you back," I smirked, head tilting.

Quinn's lips curled. "You know what, fuck you. When's the last time you had sex with anyone? Yeah, I thought so." I rolled my eyes.

"I don't need sex to be happy."

Quinn picked up her glass. "Pft, that makes one of us."

I guffawed. "Yeah, I know." The waitress came back, smiling sweetly. She took our orders and walked away. Quinn stared as she left. "You see, you can't go two minutes without gawking over that girl." Quinn was anything but ashamed. Proud even.

"Okay and?"

I smiled and sipped the water. "I think you should ask her out."

Now, Quinn's smirk turned into a genuine smile. "Really?"

I shrugged. "Why not? You only live once anyway."

"Okay, maybe I will." She laughed. "Look at Audrey Briar giving out dating advice."

"Hey, there's a first time for everything."

Quinn saluted me with her drink. "Amen to that."

〜〜〜〜〜

Walking inside the apartment after work, I found Knox sleeping on the couch. He was splayed out, one hand across his chest, another laying above his head. I noticed how cold it was in the apartment. Knox was wearing a shirt and loose pants, so when I passed him, I threw a blanket over him too.

In my room, I dropped my stuff off and changed into sweatpants and a jacket. My stomach growled at me as I walked to the kitchen, but while I was ravaging the fridge (Knox must've gone to the store) my phone rang and distracted me. I looked at the caller ID and picked up the phone.

It was a FaceTime call from Nya.

"Hey, girl!" She exclaimed. She was sitting on her couch with her bonnet covering her hair. A wine glass sat in her hand.

"Hi! How was your day?" Phone in hand, I scanned the fridge again.

"Ugh, don't even get me started. Elise had me running errands for her. Like, she had me go to the store for her and get her some fruit because it would 'give her inspiration'. Then, I had to go to the dry cleaners and pick up her suit for her fashion show this Thursday, because she was 'busy'. She and I both know that bitch does nothing but sit in her office and act important. I bet she couldn't even thread a stupid needle." Elise is Nya's boss. Obviously, there's some... tension between them. "Also, this bitch made me get her coffee, which I was perfectly happy doing, but then she sent me back twice, because she wanted it cold, not hot and without whipped cream--which she failed to mention."