CHAPTER SIX

The front door opened and closed.

"What the fuck are you doing?" I didn't look up from the table as Nya gaped at the half-finished puzzle laid before me.

"I'm finishing my puzzle." From the couch, Knox said nonchalantly,

"She's been like this all day." I twisted a piece so it fit into the upper-left section of the puzzle. It was a cheap one with a picture of kittens in a basket that I found at Target.

"Babes, please tell me this isn't because of the date tonight." No, I just went out and bought a 400-piece puzzle just for the hell of it.

"Of course it isn't." Nya set her purse down and walked further into the room, looking around confused. She nudged a plastic bin on the ground with her foot.

"Then what is this?" I allowed my eyes a quick glance over.

"Fall stuff." Concerned, Nya looked to Knox.

"I woke up to her cleaning the entire apartment, and when I got back from the gym she was hanging up all the fall decorations. Then, out of nowhere, she left and came back with that puzzle. It's been two hours. She hasn't moved." I shot him a glare.

"I got water half an hour ago, asshole."

Nya asked, "Have you even showered?"

"Um..."

"Audrey! Your date is coming to this apartment in less than two hours! Get in the stupid shower!" I easily connected two more pieces.

"But my puzzle..." Nya sat down in the chair across from me.

"Babes, you do this every time a guy you like asks you out."

From across the room, Knox said, "Well, technically, this is the first time she's bought a puzzle."

I sat up straight, my shoulders rigid. "I do not do this every time," I said defensively.

"Last time a guy asked you out, you refused to get ready until you finished your 700-page book." I stumbled for words.

"I...it was a good book, and you can't be talking."

Knox added, "Then there was that one time you went out and bought a guitar and never touched it again."

"But-"

"And the other time when you bought a paint-by-numbers set and locked yourself in your room until you finished it."

"And when you binge-watched seasons four through six of Grey's Anatomy." I pushed from the table, getting to my feet.

"Okay so maybe I get a little nervous before dates!" Understatement. "It's normal!"

"It's concerning. Please just get into the shower!"

I groaned, "Fine," and walked to the bathroom, hastily starting the shower.

Stepping into the shower, I tried to let myself relax, but that's easier said than done. In three hours, Jaxon will be knocking on my door. The thought made my head spin. For a long time—like really, an unhealthy amount of time–I've liked him. Now, obsessed over him might be a little far, but I definitely tried timing mine and his walk to the gym at the same time so we bumped into each other a few times...

In case you're worried, really, I'm fine.

Once done with my supposed-to-be relaxing shower, I found Nya in my room, sifting through my clothes.

"Feel better?" She asked, examining a cocktail dress.

"Not in the slightest."

She nodded. "Great. Let's get started." Nya loves doing this kind of thing, always has. And thank God she does, because my makeup and fashion skills are adequate at best.