Chapter 12: Watching the Stars at Night

{Aleks}

{Day Two}

The second we got to Akua, I was so taking a nap.

~~~~~~~~~~~

While we were walking, I took the liberty of setting up a waypoint to Akua. Seeing as no one had done that, I thought that maybe it was a good idea. The moment I put it up, a chorus of thank you’s rang out. “Wait, we seriously have almost four thousand units to get to Akua? That’s going to take forever!” Vivian complained.

“Could be worse.” I replied.

“How?” Adam added.

“I don’t know. Maybe it could be around ten thousand units to get there?” Toby suggested.

“Exactly!” I replied. “Or you know, we could have been set nowhere near the town.”

“True that!” Toby said.

“You guys just get too happy way too easily.” Adam said.

“You shouldn’t be talking!” Vivian replied.

“I know! I’m sorry…” Adam said.

 “But you know, I haven’t actually noticed any monsters yet. Isn’t that kind of strange?” Toby asked changing the topic quickly.  I thought about it for a second. Toby was right, we have not seen any creatures yet that weren’t passive to us. It was kind of nerve racking actually. Now that he had mentioned it I was tense.

No one responded to him for a couple of seconds. Until Vivian piped up. “Well, that isn’t too bad. It could just mean we are really lucky!”

“Yeah, but what goes around comes around. So if our luck is really good right now, it is bound to go south eventually.” Adam replied. Sounding a bit somber, which he usually wasn’t. It was quite off putting.

“Come on guys! We have to think positive!” I added, trying to bring the old mood back. “Besides, we are in a starting area after all. Surely anything out here isn’t too tough.”

“I mean you say that.” Vivian began, fiddling with something in her hands. No doubt some odd blade that was hidden before. “But then again, we found a pretty bad dungeon. You usually don’t see dungeon’s around starting areas.”

“That creep Kio could be messing with us! He might have altered the games code or something and put that there.” Adam added.

I would be careful of what you say about me...” A creepy voice said, drawing his words out at the end. Should have thought he would be listening in on us. We stopped walking and looked around the place. Trying to find the source of the voice.

“Sorry! He didn’t mean creep in a bad way, he meant it in a fun way!” Toby said, trying to fix Adam’s mistake.

“But I really didn’t.” Adam mumbled. I shuffled over to Adam and elbowed him in the side.

“Might want to stop talking right now.” I whispered. Adam nodded as I heard Kio sigh.

Well, I guess. I mean, that dungeon wasn’t my best work. I surely could have thought of something better.” Kio replied. Sounding as if he was disappointed in himself.

“Yeah! How about, you let us go to Akua, encounter whatever creatures have naturally spawned here and then when we head out of town, you can have waiting for us this big epic boss! Something to truly showcase your talent!” Vivian said, obviously trying to get him to go away. I think it was actually working to be completely honest.