Being Ready (Chapter 1)

I'm sitting in the lobby room with perhaps, my future comrades.

"The tension in this room is so thick you can cut it with a knife." I quietly think aloud.

My old friend and training buddy, Coiny, looks over to me with a finger on his lip. His expression making it very clear he wanted me to shut up. After all, we needed to look as professional as possible, even the cops at the bottom know better than to complain. But that doesn't stop a certain BLOCKY fellow from whining a bit too loudly "I'm so bored!" I can't blame him. I was also bored out of my mind.

Then, as if on cue, Professor Golfball walks in. Anyone who wasn't sitting straight (aka me, Blocky, and some other people) quickly sat to attention.

"IS THIS WHAT YOU DO WHEN A SUPERIOR IS NO WHERE IN SIGHT? DO YOU HAVE ANY DESIRE TO SERVE YOUR EMPIRE IN PEACE AND IN CRITIS?" Professor Golfball screams. I used to be sure anyone would want to serve this empire. Besides, why wouldn't they?

Take my native province, Southeastern Yoyaleland, it may not be Yoyalecity, but there was barely anyone who didn't go a day in their lives without having something very edible at their disposal. As far as I know, the provinces are thriving! In all the pictures people look happy and healthy, huge smiles on their unscared faces. It was as if they had not a worry in the world. Although not all subjects were satisfied being part of the empire.

"YOU CAN'T LET THOSE REBELS HAVE ANY REASON TO SPREAD RUMORS THAT YOU, SOLDIERS SERVING THIS NATION ARE LAZY AND IRREASPONABLE! Golfball reminds us. "NOW GIVE ME FIFTHY PUSH-UPS! YOU MUST STAY FIT AND READY AT ALL WAKING TIMES"

We all jumped from our seats and got ready to do those annoying push-ups.

"One UP! One DOWN! Two UP! Two DOWN." Golfball said as we did those again, ANNOYING, push-ups. I saw some mad lad stick person with football hair doing two of those push-ups per second! Golfball walked over to her and kicked her while saying "Stay in sink!" An ice cube just squadded since she had no arms. Golfball did nothing about it. Afterall, she was armless too.

Which reminds me of the first day of training camp. Three years ago, when I was fourteen.

We were about to be introduced to her.

"Alright children, you need to transform into adults to properly serve this nation." a male sounding voice called out from behind a door.

"I'm a kid anymore" I thought. "We're not kids!" Blocky yelled. Apparently, he was thinking the same thing.

A Golfball with no arms walked out of the door

Co-instructor Tenuis Ball told us. "This is MADAM professor Golfball. The head social scientist, and head instructor/trainer. She will transform you from boys and girls to adults."

Well, that was a surprise.

"How's some armless girl gonna train us?" Snowball said from behind Needle.