Chapter 8

"...So, you're trusting the two of us to go and shop, am I getting that right?" Derf asked. Louise groaned as she put down her plume.

"You're making it sound like I shouldn't be trusting you two!"

"Hjönk!"

"Look, that's not the issue, okay?!" Louise sighed as she knelt down and fastened Anser's bag onto his goosey frame. "I'm going to be practicing more on my magic control today, so I can't exactly go and do my own shopping this time around. So, I'm trusting you, my familiar, to do this task for me. Can you do it, Anser?"

"..." Said goose looked into his master's eyes before nodding. "Honk."

"Good. I have a bag of gold in there for you. Anything extra you can spend however you wish. Stay safe and come home in one piece, okay?" Louise had some concern in her voice at the end but was alleviated with the confident honk of her familiar. Anser waddled out of the room, satchel strapped to his 'person' and Derf on his back. Louise put a palm to her face as her familiar left. "You know... he does look somewhat out of place with that get-up. I-I'm probably just overthinking things..."

..............................................................................................................................

Anser made it to the town after getting a drop from Sylphid. He made a beeline for the essentials that Louise had him get and was impressed that there was still a sizable amount of gold left to buy things with. He wandered for a bit before stumbling upon the Weaponsmith he bought Derf from.

"What the- oh, it's just you two."

"Honk."

"Whaddya want this time, store wrecker?"

"Carl! It's been a while!" Derf exclaimed. Carl's face morphed into one of disdain as he regarded the sword once again.

"Ohhh, just my lucky day. The sword in my side is back. Great. You better not be selling him back to me you stupid duck!"

"Honk?!" Anser seemed offended by the accusation. 'Duck?!'

"Hey, hey, we're all friends here, ain't that right Carl?"

"You flap your sheath on me again and I'm puttin' you through blade testing."

"Eep!"

"Heheheh... Ah, neva gets old... So, whaddya want?"

"I was hoping for a polish, but now I'm not too sure."

"Ah c'mon swordie, it's not that bad! Heck, it's ya lucky day! My wife's back in town!"

"SHE IS?! TAKE HER TO ME IMMEDIATELY. I NEED HER HANDS!" Derf begged.

"Hey, hey, hey! What's with all the yelling?" A voice called out from behind Carl. Then the woman revealed herself, a pretty redhead with a merchant's smile. "Oh, it's just Derflinger. Back so soon huh? I thought we sold you off."

"And you did! However, er..." Derf somehow cleared his throat. "I, uh... need some polishing, please ma'am."

"Ma'am?"