the next day

Isis picks up her steps so that she can catch Druig, who she finds walking the perimeter of the village just after dawn.

"Druig — you seem distracted. Are you okay?"

"Something is bothering me." He nods in the direction of one of the homes. "The woman who lives there isn't safe."

"What do you mean?" she questions. "Ajak said that there are no Deviants left here."

"No, no," he shakes his head. "This isn't about the Deviants . It's about the man that lives with her. I know that when they're alone, he acts violently towards her."

He keeps walking, but she can't help but stop in her tracks. A human conflict?

"I've been watching them," he continues, "and I'm certain about it now. I have to stop it before we leave this place."

"I don't understand. How will you do that?"

He looks back at her. "Using my powers. How else?" Without looking away from her, his eyes begin to glow. As the glow subsides, he studies her face, both curious and anxious to know her response.

She's confused. She asks, "Should you tell Ajak?" and he turns away.

"I already tried. She instructed me to never involve myself with human conflicts." He's unusually dissonant, and it's a foreign emotion to her.

Before she can say anything else to him, he quietly returns to the Domo. She trails him, having a lot on her mind and an uncomfortable feeling in her heart.