a couple thousand years later

Isis and Druig have become extraordinarily close. It's simple, actually: they are just really fond of each other's company. They enjoy many of the same things like mingling with the locals, staying up late to look at the stars, and talking about everything and nothing in particular.

On a night like most others, they lay on a grassy knoll with the rest of civilization distant both in sight and in their minds. Their hands lay by their respective sides, the backs of his fingers barely brushing against hers.

"How long is an eternity anyway?" she asks.

"No idea," he laughs with a mouth full of food, and she laughs with him. "It's been a couple thousand years, though. Do you think we've experienced one yet?"

"No," she says pensively. "I don't think we have."

He's intrigued by her response. He shifts to his side to face her while she continues to look up at the night sky. "Really? What makes you say that?"

"Just a feeling. I think we'll know it once it's passed."

"Hm." He's quiet for a moment. "A lot can take place in an eternity. What do you think will happen between now and then?"

"Could be anything," she wonders. He sees the stars reflected in her eyes as she turns her head to look his way. "I look forward to finding out what happens to us, though."

"Me too," he agrees in a quiet but content voice. He looks down as his fingers trace the veins in her hands and up to her arms. He feels safe because of her, and she feels exactly the same because of him.