030

MY PLANTS LOOKED a little lonely as I browsed and touched their leaves as gently as I could. Maybe I should put some of them directly in the sun so that they'll get enough sunlight.

"Gwen, tara na?" I heard Maggie called from the kitchen.

When I turned to her, she was already made up and ready to go. She blinked at me and then tapped her wristwatch.

Sa kabilang bahay lang naman kami pupunta pero nagmamadali siya. I bet it's because of Rafa. I smiled at the thought of her laughing in the presence of her best friend.

Rafa's mom invited us over for dinner at their house because she's celebrating her birthday and she'd want company more than her husband and two rowdy boys—her words not mine.

Maggie's dad couldn't come because of prior commitments that I think might be related to someone he's dating. Okay, maybe I overheard a phone call not too long ago. But I'm not about to tell Maggie unless her dad is ready to tell her. It's not my business.

Liv, on the other hand, stayed a bit far from here in their mom's house so she was also unavailable. And that leaves me for Maggie to drag to the dinner party. Not that I mind, Rafa's mom is so nice that she would always give me a pat or a hug whenever she sees me outside. Also, she adores my plants!

I pinched my yellow clip on the side of my head to pin the hair that slipped out of my bun while I waited for Maggie to lock the door of the house.

"Do I look okay?" Maggie asked as she pulled down her blue cropped sweater that paired well with her flared jeans.

I nodded, feeling my bangs already starting to stick on my forehead from sweat. "Oo naman. Why are you fussing?"

She shook her head, her long hair falling over her shoulders. "Nothing. Tara na?"

I doubt it was nothing. Maggie is particularly easy to read not because she's my cousin, but because her face is very expressive. So small things like this indicate that she's worrying about something I can't quite put my finger on.

When we arrived at Rafa's house, I was greeted by the aroma of home made food. Hindi naman ako maselan sa pagkain and I eat what's on the table especially if it's home made. I know Rafa's mom cooks pretty good meals and has a whole cookbook she wrote herself.

I dusted off my denim overalls before entering the front yard which was already decorated with small tables and chairs enough for a few people.

"Mags!" Rafa called from inside their house. He was pumping air for the balloons with his younger brother.

While Maggie went to him, I poked around the kitchen and smiled when I saw Rafa's mom.

"Hi, Tita. Busy po kayo?" I asked and schooled my face to look fluffier than it usually was in hopes that she'll let me in her kitchen and maybe try out the food before everybody else.

When she saw me, she turned off the heat and immediately greeted me with a hug. "Oh, no. I was just finishing up the sauce for the roast beef. Si Maggie ba dumating na rin?"

I nodded. "Yes po, magkasama kaming pumunta. Tito couldn't come kasi may prior commitments daw po siya."

She waved her hand and returned to the stove. "No problem! I can understand that he's a busy man, much like my husband. How about you pull a chair and help me with the plating?"

That was my cue. 

On their island counter, nakahilera na ang mga tray ng pagkain starting with a hefty amount of pancit bihon, barbecued chicken thighs, mixed veggies, as well as a huge pot of mashed potato. I almost dipped a finger on each just to taste them but I held my hand. I'm hungry.