081 (part one)

THE WIND BENEATH my windbreaker made the air cool despite the rising sun in front of me. This is why I often stay out late until the sun is up. That hour between is the perfect window to ride my motorcycle and just drive around the city.

I promised Rafa not to go beyond the speed limit, but I revved the bike a little faster as I zoomed through the vehicles in front. A little won't hurt.

It's been a while since I rode on a freeway or for a long period of time for that matter. But at this moment, my desire to see Gwen was greater than my need to drive around.

When I was already near the station we were supposed to meet at, I slowed down and dragged the bike towards the ramp. I immediately recognized Monty's car and parked to the nearest available spot for motorcycles.

"Speed limit?" Rafa immediately asked when he saw me.

I kicked the stand of my bike before removing my helmet. "Yeah, and this time, I'm really not lying." 

My gaze went past Rafa and landed on the girl that I was waiting to see for weeks now. She was wearing a thin white sweater over a shirt and denim shorts that made her look like she was really ready for a getaway. In addition to her outfit was a watermelon designed neck pillow that still hung from her neck. Cute.

I gave her a small smile as a way of greeting which she returned with one of her own, though her cheeks puffed a bit more at the move.

"My neck hurts." I heard Maggie complain to Rafa as they walked ahead towards the mega station where rows and rows of factory outlets and restaurants were available for us to checkout.

I was about to let the four walk first when I felt two taps on my arm. I turned to Gwen who seemed to be waiting for me.

She gave me a shy smile before she opened her tote bag and handed me a small pot of plant. "Ito na 'yong plant. I hope you like it. It's called a zz plant, it can tolerate neglect, but please take care of it still. It won't need much of your time."

I stared at the small potted plant on my palms and then back at her. Her eyes were still on me, blinking and waiting for a reaction. I knew that the ache I was feeling in my chest was a result of her presence and thoughtfulness.

It was the same feeling I had when we were together on the dancefloor, my hand holding her form. It was like a comfort that I've never felt before.

"Thank you for this. I'll make sure to take care of it. Baka hindi mo ako kausapin 'pag namatay." 

Her cheeks reddened at my comment. "Hmm. . . maybe?"

"Come on, let's eat." I chuckled.

The girls sat first in a row of chairs before we followed. I made sure to sit in front of Gwen before I placed the plant in front of us.

Rafa nudged my arm. "Why the hell do you have a plant with you?" he asked, eyeing my plant. 

I pushed his shoulder. "Piss off. Leave my plant alone."

From the corner of my eye, I saw Gwen giggled, so I turned to her and caught her bright smile. She's literally a sunshine personified.

While eating, my eyes kept unconsciously going back to her face and watching her as she took a spoonful of the garlic rice. She was really effortlessly adorable in her own way, and even without doing anything.

Her facial features were small in proportion and soft, but her eyes that crinkled at the corners were the best part.

"Sabi nila pwede silang mag-set up ng bonfire tonight, so we can relax after swimming. And then, we can try the zipline tomorrow morning." Maggie explained while she munched.