104

I MADE A mistake of not wearing my windbreaker today. 

"Ang lakas ng ulan. Nag-motor ka?" Rafa asked as soon as I removed my helmet. 

I was already parked at the school grounds by the time the heavy rain slowed down, but while I was on the road earlier, it was raining so hard that I had to stop a couple of times due to the zero visibility.

"Yup. Now I'm soaked down to my balls." I stared at my jeans and shirt that was soaked with rain water. At least my hair was just damp.

It's the first day of college and I can't imagine a way to start it.

"May pamalit si Monty sa sasakyan. Humiram ka na lang sa kanya." 

I turned to Monty who was talking to a group of people our age. Probably his friends from whatever club he's into. I could never be as diligent as he is. 

"Monty, pahiram shirt." I called from our spot and he immediately gave me a quick rundown and saw the state of my clothes. Thank God, I have him.

After throwing the car keys at me, Rafa and I headed towards his car and grabbed the shirt that was neatly folded on the back seat. Ever the perfectionist.

I quickly changed into his shirt that was a little small on me. Thanks to basketball and the constant exercise that I get to maintain a fit body so I'm not as conscious about how I look now. 

When Rafa and I went back to the quadrangle for the assembly that was going to happen in a few minutes, I spotted Gwen and Maggie. Even though she had her back on me, I immediately recognized her posture and physical features.

I felt Rafa's elbow jabbing the side of my stomach and I glared at him. "What?"

"There's Gwen. Kakausapin mo ba?" he asked while wearing a teasing grin. 

"I don't know. If she wants to talk to me, then yes. If not, then I'll give her the space she needs."

I don't want to force her to talk to me if she's still unsure whether she even should. Yes, she told me she missed me but that doesn't mean it's anything other than that.

Rafa frowned at me. "Kailan ka pa naging gentleman?"

I pushed him a bit and chuckled. "Since Gwen, I guess?"

"Never thought I'd hear that from you." Monty appeared beside me out of nowhere that I almost jumped.

"Well, buddy, get used to it." I said and threw my arm around Monty.

When Rafa approached Maggie to say hi, we followed behind quietly. I hope I don't make her uncomfortable in any way.

Out of the corner of my eye, her eyes widened when I stopped beside her, with my arm still wrapped around Monty. I fought the urge to look at her and smother her with hugs and tuck my chin on the side of her neck. But I stopped and reminded myself that it's okay to take our time. We're not rushing.

But it was fucking hard.

"We're just about to go inside. Start na ba?" I heard Maggie ask Rafa while we walked together towards the assembly that was already starting. 

A crowd was already forming in front of the stage, most of which are college freshies just like us. All of us took a business course, but only Monty was really unsure. He always wanted to take Biology in preparation for med school, but for some reason, he enrolled with us.

Gwen and I were left behind when the others rushed to the crowd. I'd like to think she also waited for me, but I was wrong. She quickly followed Maggie and hooked her arm on hers.