3

"He did not say that," you laugh as you finish writing out some dumb math equation, eyes flickering up back to Emma who was sat opposite you.

Emma nods, "He did. And I was like, you do know I'm gay right? Just to get him off of my back because apparently that's the sort of thing it takes for guys to leave you alone these days. Like, his face was just the perfect picture of what the actual fuck." She grins, and you couldn't help but mimic it as you drop your pen and reach for your drink.

"Well, at least there's a chance he'll leave you alone now." You respond, lifting the cup up to take a sip. Your phone was on the table next to you, and even though you tried not to, every few minutes you found your gaze meeting it, praying that it would vibrate and go off with some sort of notification.

But it doesn't, and if you were being honest, it kind of made you feel like a bit of an idiot. You knew the chances of her continuing the conversation after last night were low, but there was still some slither of hope there, and you kind of hated yourself for it because to Camila, it was just some playful conversation with a fan, but to you, it had felt like something more and you couldn't quite put your finger on what it was.

Emma catches you looking at your phone for the third time in under a minute and opens up her mouth to question you, "Expecting a message from someone?" She asks, eyebrow raised pointedly.

Realising how rude you were being, you rip your eyes away from the device before tossing it into the backpack by your feet, "Sort of." You murmur honestly.

"Sort of?" Emma repeats, sounding confused.

You nod, not knowing whether or not you should say more. Eventually you choose not to and decide that you would just make the most of this platonic coffee/homework date you were on.

"Yeah, but it doesn't matter. Want to go get ice cream?"

Emma looks even more confused, but a smile does slip onto her lips as she nods her head, "Sure. But you're paying."

You snort in amusement as you toss your books and laptop into your bag, zipping it up and rising to your feet before hooking it onto your shoulder, "Of course." You accept, and together, the two of you make your way out of Starbucks and towards the ice cream parlour.

*

It was nearing seven in the evening when you finally made it home, and you honestly had to admit that you had enjoyed spending your time with Emma. After the ice cream, and after finding out that Emma was just as much of a reader as you were, you'd gone to the bookstore to pick out some books together.

The impromptu afternoon out was great, and you'd made plans to do it again next week.

Setting your backpack down onto the couch, you open it up and pull out everything inside. Your new books, laptop, school books and your phone. You place the device into your pocket without thought as you make your way over to the large bookshelves in the corner of the room with your books in hand, looking for a place to put them. You find a free gap near the bottom, and with the silent promise to find a proper home for them later, you slot them in place with a satisfied smile.

There was nothing better than a full bookshelf. Or, well, two for that matter.

Your phone vibrates several times in your back pocket as you make your way through to the kitchen area to think up something to make for dinner, and you pull it out to see if was Emma replying to your I'm home safe message because you had promised her you would let her know after refusing her invitation to walk you home. Her place was closer than yours, so there was no sense in letting her walk from yours to hers in the dark when that could be completely avoided altogether by you walking home alone.