Chapter 16: Baby Worries

Levi's POV

"Hanji!" I called out for her when I found out she wasn't in bed with me. The moon was high and in the shape of a skinny crescent. I quickly lit up a lamp to look for her when she walked into the room in a hurry. I sighed in relief, falling back into bed. "You're still here..."

"Um... yeah, why wouldn't I?"

"Where did you go?"

"A pregnant lady can't go to the bathroom in the middle of the night?" She chuckles softly before crawling into bed with me. "I've been peeing a lot more... and eating much more than I did last week."

"Is that a good thing?" My arms wrapped around her as I held her tightly. Our hands were intertwined with each other's hands, holding and begging for us to never let go.

Hanji gave a nod, smiling in the dim light. "Dr. Annis said it's normal. I think she said we have about 2 more months or so until the baby arrives. Starting next week, Dr. Annis is staying with us to check on the baby. And now... I can't go into town for extra supplies. Of course, I told Onyankonpon that we are currently growing some of our food, and we just need some other supplies. I somewhat regret not telling him about-."

"Always Onyankonpon this, Onyankonpon that..."

She laughs softly, kissing my cheek. "What's that I hear? Are you a little jealous of me talking about him constantly?"

"Is that wrong?"

"No... it's not wrong. Just surprised." Hanji began to pinch my cheek, giving me a childish laugh. "Surprised to hear that you're the one to be jealous this time. I remember when I thought you were talking to Dr. Annis, and I thought you would fall in love with her. Now, it's your turn."

"I just wish we didn't have to rely on him too much."

"Because I'm the one who he talks to more?"

Now that got me thinking... Onyankonpon has talked to her a lot more before the Rumbling. He would always be with her either in the workshop or in the dining hall, just talking about the new inventions and things beyond the wall. During that time, I only crept into her room to tuck her to bed. She never questioned it.

"Levi, you know that I rather spend the rest of my life with you than Onyankonpon-."

"Still. I don't like it when you talk to him constantly."

"Would you rather join in on our conversation?"

"I'll just get lost throughout the entire thing."

"I'll translate it to something easier for you if you want."

My eyes rolled as I shook my head. "No, I rather not. Besides, your stomach is already showing the baby. I don't want you to continue being in his presence while your belly is becoming like that."

"I was thinking that later on, I would just cover myself in a blanket. When Onyankonpon comes, I will have the blanket on me to hide the baby. Although, we have to think about after the baby comes... how are we going to keep it quiet?"

"Maybe you can take it out on a walk."

"Babies can't walk-."

"I meant you to hold the baby as you walk in the woods."

Hanji shook her head. "As much as that sounds like a good idea, I'll just get lost there. Besides, it'll sound creepy. How creeped out would you be if you hear a baby's cry from deep inside the forest? Wouldn't you be scared?"

My shoulders gave a shrug. "Well, what do you propose?"

"Ask Dr. Annis to take the baby out of the cabin- just enough time for Onyankonpon to visit for a few minutes. When the baby grows older, we'll play games with them and make them pass out before he comes. By then, our garden should be flourishing with fruits and vegetables. Onyankonpon wouldn't need to come by too often to give us food."

"Sounds like a much better idea..."

"That's because I'm the smart one and you're the muscle."

"At this point, I doubt I have any muscles..."

"Don't be stupid." Hanji brushes her fingers over my metal fingers. "I wish we could've tried the serum... you could've been whole..."

"We had this discussion before, Hanji. I didn't want to risk anything. Erwin was the one to worry-."

"I know, I know... oh, but speaking of Erwin... we need baby names."

"How did you get baby names from Erwin?"

Hanji laughs as we shared a small kiss. I want her beautiful laughter to echo in my ears every hour. Hearing that makes my heart grow heavy with her love. "I don't know, but still, we need to come up with names. Of course, we don't know if we would be having a girl or a boy, so we need to compile a list-."

She continues on about names, listing off some names from our fallen friends as possible names. We agreed that we would use their names as middle names. I can't imagine calling my own son, Erwin. From our fallen friends, we agreed to use names that we liked.