Part Three.

It had taken a frustrating hour of work for Meliodas to get the child cleaned up, and half of that was figuring how to get the diaper back on him. He also had to dress the boy in one of his t-shirts because he hadn't had picked up any clothes in his rush through the store. Good thing he thought to get wipes though. Lots of those were used.

The child was so filthy and the diaper was so full it was falling apart by the time Meliodas got it off, which really made him wonder how long the child was alone for. Although there wasn't really any point asking a three year old that question since he didn't have a great concept of time. Currently the boy was fast asleep curled up next to Meliodas on the bed while the blond watched channel TV. Nothing good was on.

I'll start asking around tomorrow. Now that he's cleaned up I'll get a picture of him and then show it to people to see if they know him. Just like a dog I guess.

As the night continued and withdrawals got worse, Meliodas found himself desperately trying to keep himself from taking his last dose. He was trembling completely out of his control, he felt cold and hot all at once, dizzy, nauseous, all the while his brain was SCREAMING at him to take the medicine, take what made all that pain go away and what made him feel good. He needed it, and he needed it soon.

After all, the longer he went without it the more he sobered up. And the more he sobered up... well, the more memories came back to him. Horrible, damaging, truly painful memories Meliodas worked so hard to escape from. Every time he'd turn his brain to mush he didn't have to worry about them anymore. But now... every time he'd scream, kick, and claw to get away from that damn bed... every time he'd beg for a night where he could actually sleep or have a shower uninterrupted by that monster... that monster who always came back Every. Single. Day. All of it was coming back, bits and pieces of memories from the shattered crevices of his mind were leaking out and cutting into everything he had created to escape them. Because the pleasant, mushy, cloudy, the wall of good feelings, it was gone. His main defense was fading, and he was absolutely desperate for a way to bring it back. It was driving him to the brink of insanity at this point!

Nononononono... don't do it. Think about it, if I take it now the high will be gone in a few hours and I'll be completely out. If I stay sober for just a little while longer and get this kid taken care of, I might be paid for my troubles and then I can get my next hit! Don't do it... Don't do it.... Don't do it...

Oh but I need to do SOMETHING. Everything feels like it's on fire and I NEED release from it. Oh please... please I need a hit....

No, don't do it..

I'll be fine if I just get the hit! I'll figure out something to get more. I just need something for right NOW.

NO!

YES! I NEED SOMETHING TO DO! TO FOCUS ON!

Right as the feelings started to get stronger, right as his will started to break, he was snapped out of his thoughts by the feeling of the toddler next to him shifting, allowing him to focus on the boy instead of his intense current need driving him mad.

Not really thinking anything to cause the action, Meliodas turned towards the boy leaning into him and started petting and twirling around the child's spiky hair. It was strangely helping him. Keeping his hands busy and distracted rather than focusing on how shaky they were. It was enough to make some of the thought ebb off and the memories he wanted to forget again once more be repressed. And the boy seemed to like the contact too by how he gave such a happy little sigh in his sleep before snuggling closer.