Chapter 12

Trigger warning: Mentions of abuse and depictions of panic attacks.

---------------------------------------

"You'll have to watch me struggle from several rooms away, but tonight, I need you to stay. Tonight, I need you to stay."

-Twenty One Pilots

Louis flexed the muscles of his arm against his sling, his seat belt snapping back with a metallic click. He sat in the passenger's seat of Liam's car, watching the unmoving front door of his own house from the driveway. Niall, Zayn, and Liam had just disappeared inside on a reconnaissance mission to see if any hostile entities (Joshua or his mother) were inside.

It was the first of December, Louis realized with a hollow smirk. There wasn't anything especially significant about the date; it just was. It was December. This was the month that he was going to turn 25. This was the month when he was going to see his family again. This was the first month that he was going to spend every morning rolling over to face an empty bed.

"Do you have any Nutella inside?" Harry chirped, hooking his chin over the shoulder of Louis' seat from his spot in the back of the car. He had thus far been sitting quietly behind Louis after he'd elected to keep him company, and his thoughts had apparently become too distracted to handle the silence any longer.

"I'm not sure." Louis said, craning his neck to get a glance at Harry's face.

"I think you do. You did last time I was here, and it was still pretty full."

"And what are you going to do with it if I have some?"

"Eat it." Harry said with a shrug, confused as to how Louis had been unsure about his Nutella intentions. Louis chuckled as he moved his head back to stare straight ahead, and Harry blew against the back of Louis' ear with an aggressive puff in response.

"Oi!" Louis snapped. "And who exactly gave you permission to do that?"

"The divine dualistic polarity of the Moon Goddess and Horned God."

"Ah, so you've apparently had time to spout off some pagan prayers back there, and they gave you permission to blow on my ear?" Louis asked. Harry responded with a smug nod, equal parts frightened and excited to see what Louis was going to do in retaliation. "I've had enough of your lip, Styles." Employing the dexterity of his good arm, Louis opened his side of the car and slid out, quickly throwing Harry's car door open and plopping down into his lap.

"What are you doing?" Harry laughed.

"Punishing you."

"How is this punishing me?"

"My arse is massive. You'll surely suffocate at any moment." Louis said flatly, closing the car door behind him and readjusting himself in Harry's lap. The larger man laughed as he hooked his arms snugly around Louis' waist. His head lolled back onto Harry's shoulder as the giggling gave way to a complacent silence.

He listened to the deep lilt of Harry's breath as they both turned their attention back to the front door, waiting to find out if the coast was clear.

"Well yeah, Louis. I don't really see how you can keep putting up with Josh now that Harry's in the picture."

That's what Louis' mum had said during their chat on the phone from the floor of Zayn's bathroom that morning.

"Mummmm." Louis groaned.

"What?"

"This isn't about..." Louis kneaded the flesh of his forehead as an excuse to take a second and prepare his response in a way that didn't sound like a middle schooler denying a crush. "I don't have those kinds of feelings for Harry. I wouldn't cheat on Joshua like that." The word "again" hung on the edge of his lips.