- 34 (unedited)

Beads clattered against one another as they, in their curtained form, were swept away to allow the qipao clad server to pass through holding a tray of cups and a pot of tea. 

The server kept her eyes low upon approaching the table, not daring to lift them to meet the gaze of the two men. That would cost her her life. 

Instead she carefully and gracefully placed the expensive porcelain items onto the middle of the table and stood straight, clutching the tray to her form and awaiting an order which came in the form of the man on the left waving her away. 

Upon her exit the man on the left, donned in traditional dress, poured freshly brewed tea into two cups. After pulling his sleeve back just a bit, he lifted one of the small tea filled cups and placed it in front of the other man. 

The other man tapped two fingers against the table, his index and middle, as thanks but couldn't help the wince of pain he let out. 

The man on the left let out a chuckle which was raspy and breathy due to age and tobacco consumption. "First tattoo I'm guessing." The old man brought the cup to his lips and sipped the tea, closing his eyes as he did so. 

The younger man observed his now, almost completely inked, left side of his torso. Never in a million years did he think he'd have gotten a tattoo. 

But never in a million years did he think he would be joining the, so called, family business either. 

Noticing the young man's silent displeasure, the old man sighed. "I know this isn't what you wanted for your life but-" He was stopped by the younger man raising a hand to silence him. 

And sure, he was older and that should not have stopped him. But now, the young man was at a higher rank than him and he had no choice but to obey. 

The young man took the small cup up, holding it by his index and thumb, before downing the hot drink and putting it in the middle of the table as a sign for the older man to refill it. The old man complied with a small sigh. 

Damn right this wasn't what he wanted for his life. 

He had run away from his family and his country just so he could avoid all of this. He was gonna build a better, respectable life for himself and live an honest life. He had never wanted to be involved with these people, to be involved with his wicked parents and their immoral work. 

He had real dreams, real aspirations. He had a life planned with the person he loved and in that life he had planned his parents were not present. 

But now he had no choice. He had to do this. 

Before, he was under no obligation to get involved in this life. But now it involved the person he loved and cared for the most. He had no other choice. 

This process wasn't going to be easy for him. He had more to do than simply get a detailed, almost ancient looking, painting-like tattoo drawn onto the left side of his torso and curling towards his back, gliding over his shoulders and down his arm. 

He had to get one on his neck later that week but he also had several initiation processes to get through and then missions to carry out. Not only that but as a leader, he had to gain the respect of his would-be followers. 

It was time consuming. And that made him anxious. 

He didn't want to waste any time. Every bit of wasted time meant she was in more and more danger. And he'd do everything in his power to protect her and keep her safe. 

Meiqi steadied herself and swiftly spun around, shooting a glare at whoever had tried to grab her.