Prologue - Leap Forward and Backward

Prologue: Leap Forwards and Backwards

REVISED CHAPTER: SEE A/N BOTTOM OF PAGE

"I guess you were right."

"It was all my fault."

"All my decisions and their repercussions."

"Despite how bold this might seem."

"I'm asking for your help."

"You're the only one I can trust."

"You'll probably forget these words, but it won't matter."

"Not to mention."

"You've already seemed to have forgotten a few things."

"More than you think."

"That's fine."

"I've more to say."

"But let's take things slow."

"It won't make any sense right now."

"Sensei."

/3:46 AM /WASHINGTON, DC/

/FACILITY REDACTED/HALLWAY 2B ZONE A/

/0:53:45/TILL SINGULARITY SHIFT/

Muffled mortar fire echoed throughout the concrete walls of the narrow hallways, rampaging in an almost rhythmic tune orchestrated by the heavy artillery outside. With each strike rattling the walls, thick clouds engulfed its corridors in a thick smog of dirt and debris.

Amid the chaos, in stark contrast to the surrounding atmosphere, a middle-aged man dressed in pristine officer garments void of any creases or folds strides forward - his posture tall and firm, briskly marching down the hall, paying no mind to the passing staff and personnel as they quickly urged themselves to the side. Many were careful not to get in the giant's way lest they face his wrath.

The man's gritted face matched the bleak atmosphere well; the decorated officer held a 'beyond pissed' face, further exemplified by the numerous scars from previous battles that frame the veteran's tight-lipped and ragged expression.

The officer was being pushed to his limit, Irritation on clear display; his hands tightened hard in a vice-like grip around the minuscule phone pressed against his ear - With one free hand, roughly caressing his scruffy brown hair, moving the phone far enough away to let out a deep sigh, a moment for him to vent, before continuing to bark out at the phone.

"Yes, I'm well aware of their current conditions within each of their profiles."

"Why, of course, that's because I'm the one who wrote the report."

"More importantly, however, did you even take the time to do more than a short glance at the notes within the report - that I made sure to specifically highlight?"

"Okay, now you're just shittin with me!"

The man paused, ceasing his onslaught momentarily as he darted his eyes around the walls; the outside artillery now striking more rapidly and in higher volumes.

"It's getting worse." He grimly muttered, letting out another irritated groan, using one hand to pinch his scrunched face.

"Enough of this bullshit, doctor. Despite the potential this gate provides, in the turning of this war - I can't let you proceed with what you have planned."