Chapter One - In The Dark

Chapter One: In the Dark

See A/N Bottom of Page

"I admit, I was desperate, cowardly, and more importantly, I was scared."

"And I have every right to be, but those excuses don't matter."

"We were gonna lose; it was a fact. "

"Everyone I considered family getting slaughtered around me."

"I just couldn't accept losing those three; the ones closest to me."

"So under my order, we ran."

"From one darkness to another, I didn't care where it took me; I just couldn't bear to live in that memory again."

/ERROR/LOCATION UNKNOWN/

PLEASE VERIFY LOCAL MAPPING COORDINATES

*RESTART REQUIRED*

Inside a brightly lit room, a multitude of monitors and computer screens hung from the ceiling alongside a pile of unkempt wires loosely scattered around the floor. Rays of sunlight peered through the glass wall overlooking a massive city below; casting light on the unorganized mess of machinery and electronic devices cluttering the room.

Followed by a sharp beep that echoed across the room, multiple popups soon flashed on several of the screens. Behind a desk center of all the mess, a girl with pink-colored hair styled into pigtails raised her head from the wood furnishing, her half-lidded eyes blinking twice before glancing towards the rude awakening.

She stretched her arms out, joints cracking in response to the sudden movement, before slumping back down into the chair.

Reaching down underneath the desk, she brought out a bag of chips readily stored away in one of the drawers, quickly tearing away the seal.

With the wave of a hand, a holographic display materialized in front of her as she began scrolling through a list of contacts, stopping occasionally to chomp down on greedy handfuls of chips.

Seconds later, the girl found what she was looking for. Her hand hovered above the call button, swallowing hard as droplets of sweat trickled down her temples.

Nanagami Rin: hard-working, punctual, straightforward, and cold-hearted at first glance. One of the higher-ups on the general student council, currently acting as a placeholder for their missing president; How they managed to get along was beyond her.

"Yikes, things are about to get busy - which means more work for me." The girl shuddered at the thought, letting out a puff of air as she took another handful of chips before, begrudgingly, tapping the button.

Not even five seconds and the call was connected. The quick response caught the pink-haired girl off guard as she cleared her throat, choking slightly, trying to swallow the remaining food.

"H-Hey Rin, It's Momoka, I'm calling to tell you the team upstairs just finished gathering info on the stuff you confiscated from those four guys. I'm sending you the report right now."

It was half a lie. Truth be told, they finished several hours ago, but Momoka's mood didn't agree with the work, despite the reminders.

"Yeah, no problemo, I'll have that in for you right away."

"Last week- What about last week?"

"Wait, since when did-"

"A-Ah, n-nevermind that! More importantly, the staff monitoring the holding cells has news." Momoka stammered, quickly changing topics as she reached over for the computer mouse, scrolling through a list of overdue work.