The Boy

Her footsteps echoed down the empty golden corridor of the castle. The only other sound came from the crackling of torches hanging from the white columns along the walls as she walked with confidence to the Emperor’s throne room. It was late at night and the emperor had ordered for his personal guards to take the night off. It was strange behavior indeed but it was not unheard of. Every so often Emperor Belos would reward his guards by giving them a random day off. The emperor was a just but fearsome ruler. He could be as kind as he could be ruthless so it was best not to take his generosity for granted. Besides, the castle was the most safeguarded place on the Boiling Isles. Penetrating its defenses was practically impossible not to mention that there would be nobody foolish enough to try and attack the emperor directly. 

The woman of straight dark navy hair and mint green eyes continued making her way down the corridor making note of her surroundings. If the emperor had called for her this late at night something must be wrong. Even if breaching the castle's defenses was close to impossible it didn’t mean she should let her guard down. Over the years she had come to learn that danger came in many forms and therefore one should never let their guard down.  The emperor might not worry about possible dangers but that’s because he had people like her to do it for him. After all, she was the leader of the emperor’s coven. It was her responsibility to make sure that nothing went wrong. 

Once she made it to the doors of the throne room she knocked on the door to announce her arrival. As expected the usual guards that were normally posted there were gone. It made her feel like she was the only one left in the castle. The thought was unnerving even though she knew it to be untrue. She knew for a fact that there were guards posted everywhere else in the castle as well as those outside. Tonight the only guards sent home were those normally posted along the hallway leading to the Emperor’s throne room.   

She was pulled out of her thoughts when the doors to the room opened on their own with a loud creaking sound. From the inside came the emperor’s voice “Lilith, come in,” She did as she was told and quickly made her way inside. As soon as she did, the doors slammed shut behind her. 

The emperor’s throne room was the only part of the castle that made her feel uneasy. The room in itself was elegant with golden floors and walls. There were grand banners that decorated the walls and pillars. The only source of light came from two massive flaming cauldrons at either side of the emperor's throne. She assumed the reason it made her nervous was due to multiple factors but the two main reasons were the giant beating heart that was suspended behind the emperor's throne and being in his presence. She had a deep respect for the emperor but she also feared him. He had an intimidating presence that was intensified by the golden mask with long horns that he wore. Even just sitting on his throne he still radiated with an overwhelming presence. 

“I’m glad you could come in such short notice,” he stated in a hushed tone that was unusual for him. She was starting to wonder if maybe her hunch had been correct. Was there something that was worrying him? She wanted to ask but what if he was afraid someone was listening to their conversation? If that was the case she might give them away.

For now, she would act normal but she would be keeping her guard up. “Of course emperor Belos I am at your disposal,” she said as she took a knee and bowed to the emperor. 

“Glad to hear you say that. I have a very special task for you and I am afraid that in this particular matter I am at your mercy,” he noted in a tone that sounded both sad and frustrated. 

“Sir?” asked Lilith, perplexed. At her mercy? Her initial cautiousness was replaced by confusion. Emperor Belos was at the mercy of no one let alone one of his most faithful followers.  

“Yes, but before we go on I would like you to take a look at the basket in front of you,” he said, motioning to a basket that was only a few feet away from her. She was surprised that up until that point she had not noticed it. She had been so focused on finding a danger that she completely overlooked something that appeared to be harmless. She felt a bit embarrassed and disappointed at herself but she did not hesitate to get up and walk towards the basket. It was covered with a blanket which she carefully moved out of the way. To her surprise inside was an infant.