Mother

Lilith

I know I shouldn't return after just leaving, but I can't help it. Ever since Edalyn started watching over Hunter while I'm at work I hardly get to see him anymore. If only I could still bring him to work with me. I still can't believe I mistook the secretaries office for a daycare. The day I had discovered the office it had been filled with children who I now know were there for a field trip. With how early I got to the castle and how late I got out I never questioned the lack of children when I went to drop Hunter off and picked him up. If it hadn't been for the head secretary threatening to complain to the emperor then nothing would have changed. Hunter would still be close to me all day being well cared for by some of the most capable witches on the isles. I am grateful that my comrades came together to help out and maybe under different circumstances that arrangement could have continued.

I could always request for a daycare service to be offered within the castle. Though I suppose that would be a waste of resources. But it would benefit the other members of the coven, not just me. Then again if the castle was ever attacked that would put the children at risk. And what if one of them separated from their group and ended up somewhere dangerous like the armory. Or fell out of a window. No no, the castle was far too dangerous for children. Besides, there are daycares close to the castle that offered great discounts for coven members. Maybe I could get in contact with Odalia. She probably has a list of the best caretakers on the isles. Maybe I can find something that is on my route.

Even though Edalyn and Hooty don't seem to mind taking care of Hunter I don't think it's fair that their time has been consumed with taking care of the baby. Hunter is my responsibility after all. Thanks to my negligence Edalyn and Hooty don't even have a day free to themselves without the baby. I know Hooty loves having the baby around more than anything but Edalyn must feel constricted. She is such a free spirit that any type of structure makes her feel suffocated. Taking care of the baby includes a lot of rules and keeping to schedules. Even if she won't admit to it I'm sure that it must bother her. And as far as I know, the last time she spoke with Raine was a month ago. If they were to break up because of us I wouldn't be able to forgive myself. It would be a good idea to discuss this once I return from work tonight.

As I got closer to the house I started to hear voices. It sounded like Edalyn was talking to someone but I couldn't quite make out what they were saying. I tried getting closer as quietly as possible to see if I could make out who she was talking to. If it turned out to be Raine I would just go straight to work. I didn't want to spoil a moment between them after such a long time of them not speaking. If it wasn't I might still be able to get a glimpse of Hunter once they leave. I can't let him see me though. Edalyn was very clear that once I leave for work it's best for Hunter not to see me if I choose to return so he won't cry. It's also best if Edalyn doesn't know I keep coming back even after I said I would stop.

The closer I got the clearer the voices became. I still couldn't see them but I could recognize the voices. Edalyn was speaking to...our mother. It had been so long since the last time I had seen or spoken to her. Now here she was just a few feet from me. I wanted to run and give her a hug. To tell her how much I missed her and that I am now the leader of my coven. But most importantly to present her to her grandson.

I could feel the tears of joy starting to well up in my eyes but I had to keep myself together. I took a moment to compose myself. I am the leader of the emperor's coven after all. I can't just go out there running into my mother's arms. She would think that I am still a child if I did. Just as I was about to come out of my hiding spot I heard Edalyn speak.

"Let me stop you right there," she said in a tone that made me fear I had been spotted. "Have you gotten in contact with Lilith?"

Why did Edalyn sound upset? Why was she being so rude to mother? And why was she asking mother about me?