Special: BestiesWeek 2022

"Authors Note: This is a special chapter celebrating Bestiesweek which celebrates the chaotic friendship between Hunter and Luz. In this story, Hunter is 8 years old and Luz is 6."

A New Friend

Hunter

"Alright kid, here's the deal. I am going to do a quick run into town and you are going to stay here and wait for me. Stay within eyesight of the cabin and don't talk to anyone, don't let anyone see you, and most importantly keep your ears covered. Can you do that for me?"

"Yeah," I replied, half paying attention to my aunt and half paying attention to the human world. This was the first time my aunt let me come with her. She was here to run some errands and I was supposed to go with her but she said she had a bad feeling and didn't want to risk it.

She wanted me to stay back home with Hooty but I convinced her to let me explore the area around the cabin. If anything bad happened I could just go back through the door to safety. I really wanted to see the human town but my aunty said that there is a lot for me to learn before I can interact with humans. Today was going to be a test. Aunty said that if I was a good boy and stayed near the cabin today I would be allowed to go with her the next time she ran an errand in the town.

"Of course, you can after all you are your mother's child," she said with a laugh. "Alright, Owlbert, stay with the kid. Hunter..."

"I know, Owlbert is in charge," I replied, looking back at my aunt with a big smile. I wanted her to go already so that I could explore the human world. Even just from the porch of the cabin, I was still able to spot several of the things I wanted to explore. The first would be tasting the snow. I had told Edric and Emira that I would be coming to the human realm with my aunty and that she had said that there would be snow. They had asked me to bring souvenirs and to check if human snow tasted like our snow. I would conduct my exploration and get the souvenirs all while following all of my aunty's rules of course. I also needed to get something for Amity. She didn't know I was coming. We had decided that she was still too little to keep that a secret but I would still get her something nice.

"Alright, wise guy," she said, putting a hand on my head and pulling my hat down to cover my eyes. "You two keep him out of trouble okay?" Both Owlbert and Flapjack replied with a chirp and a hoot. Flapjack perched himself on my head while Owlbert chose to set himself on a tree so that he had a better view of the area.

"Okay then I'm off, take care of each other, and don't do anything I would do," she said with a laugh as she waved goodbye.

As soon as she was out of sight I took a running start and then threw myself at the snow. It felt different from the snow at the knee. It is hard to explain almost like it's not as fluffy. I wonder why? I made a snowball and took a bite out of it. Somehow it tastes different from our snow but I'm not sure how. It's also more icy? I took off my backpack and took out a jar to fill it up with snow. Once we got back home I would show it to my friends. I also took out my notebook to write down my notes. I wanted to take as many notes as possible to be able to describe things to Edric and Emira.

When I was done with that I started looking around for anything else that I could find to take back home to show my friends. The only thing I could see apart from the snow was trees, bushes, and rocks. Maybe if I started digging in the snow I could find some hidden treasure.

When my aunty said that we would be coming to the human world I packed all the essentials I would need to explore. Mama says that a good scout is always prepared. Apart from the jar I also brought a small shovel, a magnifying glass, a notebook, a pen, water, snacks, an extra sweater, extra socks, extra hats, a first aid kit, and the pocket knife aunty gave me for my birthday. Along with my trusty palisman, I have everything I need to explore the human world.