Chapter 2. We Grow.

Abuela stayed in the wagon to take a little cat nap. That was fine by me, I had a mission. Find the closest water source and see what I can do. After hearing a few encouraging words I felt a little more empowered to work with what I'd been given by the spirits, and water was a lot less terrifying than fire; water brings life; if you don't drink water you'll die of thirst. If you get wet you'll dry off. If you get burned, you'll be scarred. You could die. It's much much safer to stick to the lifebringer than they village burner.

I took a small bucket from the wagon to handle water from a pump in town, then took it to the outskirts where I began to practice again. Slowly pulling up little snake-like figures out of the liquid, bringing it to life. The goal this time was to put it back in the bucket the way it came.

It cooked around itself and twisted into a pretzel before dropping down into the bucket with a splash. I began collecting the droplets now muddied and pulling them back into the bucket. I pulled out a shorter arm, this time only the length of a banana, and tried to place it back inside without losing control. It grew shorter and fatter at the same time until it sank into the bucket, splashing water out again.

"You know you don't have to hide all the way out here." Said a male voice behind me.

I turned around to see Mirabel and Camilo. "I know, but it's easier without a crowd." The breeze rustled my skirt and lifted it slightly to reveal my deep brown ankles.

"Our Abuela wants to see you." Mirabel explained.

An anxiety... no, a dread washed over me. "Again? But I was just there."

"But she wants to see you again. Besides, we have way more water than whatever this setup is. Or you could work on the whole fire-setting thing. We haven't seen that one yet." Mirabel elaborated, talking with her hands.

I shook my head and lifted another tendril of water out of the bucket. This time it was very skinny, and tall enough to reach my eyes. But without even a thought it crashed down on itself, splattering my dress and the two Madrigals. I sighed. "Can I just learn water first?"

"I mean, why not?" Maribel replied.

"Then I'll come back. But promise someone knows something to help?" I asked.

"Of course they do! Camilo, you didn't get it right on the first try!" He shook his head no with his arms crossed. "You tried to be Dolores but came out as Isa! And Isabela... I'm sure even though she grows roses they've got thorns. And Luisa trains, like, every day!" Mirabel continued.

"Okay. Thank you," I said, whisking the water off the fabric of my skirt and picking up my water pail.

"Don't mention it." Mirabel turned to walk back in the direction of Casita.

Camilo interjected, "But are you sure we can't see the fire while we're all the way out here?"

Somehow I got the notion they'd been talking behind my back about the fire. But it could be worse, I suppose. I thought... it's been a lot of firsts today. First time showing someone my powers intentionally. First time being called gifted instead of cursed. First time having the suggestion of marriage thrown my way. Why not have my first time setting fires for fun?

"I guess..." was all I had to say before I put down my water pail, picked up a dry leaf that laid on the ground and held it in my hand with my palm outstretched. I focussed with all my being, please don't let this get out of hand, literally.

Slowly the middle began to singe and a light blue flame began to appear, until the rest of the colors followed and suddenly a small fire was held in my two hands. Ashes blew in the breeze that once lifted my skirt until I felt the heat of the flame reach my breast. Before I could catch myself I stopped focusing to say, "I told you," but suddenly the flame began to grow larger. I blew on it but that only caused it to grow even bigger, but I don't think the two could see the fear on my face. I threw it onto the ground, doing everything I could to pull the water onto it until I heard the soft sizzle of embers drowning out.

"That's the bad part, I don't know how to put it out..." I put my hand behind my head in a shy manner.

"You just did, with the water. And your clothes aren't even burnt or anything!" Mirabel squealed ecstatically. "But we got to get going, or else we'll miss dinner. Come on, you can tell us more on the way!"

And so our short walk began towards Casita. I knew when Abuela said "catnap" she meant much longer so I wasn't worried. "What if you only lit fires places they didn't need put out, like campfires and stoves and fireplaces?" Mirabel asked.

"I guess that would teach me how to start them... but I need to know how to put them out eventually." I thought it over.

"Hey Mirabel," Camilo said with a strange grin on his face. "Don't you think it's a little funny that you two get along?"

"No, why would it be? Everyone likes me!" Mirabel replies annoyedly.

"Oh, but it's not like that. Isn't it a little funny that you're the only one without a gift and she's the only one in her family with a gift? I mean, it's like you two were both born in the wrong family."

"Camilo! That's not even funny!" Mirabel angrily stomped her foot and stopped walking. I stopped with her. "It doesn't even work like that!" I could tell she was fuming.

"Fine, what's your explanation?"

"There doesn't have to be one!" She yelled back. "You're such a jerk you know! I bet Dolores can hear you right now, and I bet she's gonna tell your mom and Tia Peppa will make you do double chores!"

"For what? Asking questions?" He played dumb.

"Ugh!" Mirabel screamed before lunging at him. He quickly transformed into a toddler, running away while giggling and saying, "Mirabellll, you wouldn't hit a baby, would you?"

Mirabel screamed out of frustration again before taking a deep breath and saying, "Let's just get back to Casita."