Chapter 21. Stay With Me

A/N || YALL GOT ME TO #2 ON DISNEY??? I LOVE ALL OF YOU SM <3 YOU'RE ALL MY BESTIES NOW OFFICIALLY !! in other news this slow burn is getting hotter ;) and my boss gave me some crystals out of her bra today lol

That morning was remarkably uneventful. I tended to the chores Alma had given me, I followed the daily routine without much of a care for the whereabouts of my family. I was angry with all of them and I couldn't stand to see them, though I knew it was wrong, this anger consumed me. The glimmer of hope that soothed me to sleep last night, that this could be mended, had fizzled out like the last bit of oil in the frying pan, burning into a string of sticky smoke. I was alone, brewing in my rage.

I had shied away from breakfast but returned from the laundry to Casita for Lunch, helping to set the table and taking the place next to Camilo.

We began talking. "Aren't you happy your family's here?" He asked.

"Yeah, they're fine." I replied.

"Are you gonna start staying with them?" He asked, taking a drink of the water in his cup.

"No, Señora Alma and I spoke about it, I'll stay here. But I have to go there for dinner tonight," I lied. I had no plans, but I wanted to be alone. I wanted to plot how I would fix the damage done by my family, how I could still build that some day. I wanted to cry in peace.

"Will you hang out with me after dinner then? I feel like I haven't seen you in days. It's been strange. Lonely."

I blushed slightly. But these butterflies in my stomach needed to be silenced, surely. "Of course."

"Our spot?" He asked, with that buttery smooth voice that always reeled me back in every time I thought I could run from these feelings.

I nodded in agreement. "Our spot."

"You remembered!" Camilo shouted as he came upon the spot, encountering me as I sat on the grass

"You remembered!" Camilo shouted as he came upon the spot, encountering me as I sat on the grass. Truthfully, I'd been waiting there for hours, staring at the edge of the water, pulling it back and forth. I'd been thinking, using my mind as a diary. I'd found my peace, though anger still loomed over me like a dark cloud. The sun whose rays seemed to always bring gentle warmth, now felt as though it was beating down on my meager body.