Chapter 9. My Soul to Keep

But once I'd returned to Casita, lunch was very typical. I found it strange, the ability to talk about anything except what was on my mind, what I begged to eavesdrop on, to hear in passing.

The only thing atypical about that lunch was Camilo's demeanor. He was far more reserved, only coldly greeting me. I thought to myself, of course, I've ruined yet another thing. But it didn't continue like that for much longer until he spoke again, in between bites of his carimañolas. "So, do you have any big plans tonight?"

"Oh, not much... I've got to do my own laundry tonight, down where I help the ladies." I replied. "Have you got any?"

He shook his head, "No. I was wanting to ask this one girl to hang out with me, but I think she'll be too busy doing laundry." Camilo said with a pitiful smirk.

I didn't know how to reply to that, so I played along, hoping it could possibly be someone else "Well, I'm sure she's got room for another down there. It's a large enough space, with some privacy." But then I questioned myself. Don't I want him to like me? Don't I like him? Why am I hoping against what I truly desire?

"I guess. Maybe I'll meet her there." He continued eating. He was such a graceful eater, entirely unlike the boys I'd grown up with at home. He carefully put the food in his mouth, showing great appreciation for it. Truthfully, when eating here, there's a part inside me that wants to lick the plate clean, but of course I mind my manners and hold back.

"Good luck." I replied.