Chapter 13. Threads Woven Together

That morning, I gently stirred and brushed my teeth. I got ready, excited for the day to come. Could this be the day? Could his gut tell him that it's time to confess?

I had no clue. But what I did need answers to was the washing machine comment. I wandered down to the kitchen, where I found Mirabel, and asked. "Hey, Mirabel, I've got a question."

"Shoot." She responded.

"Do you really have a washing machine?"

She nodded. "Mhm."

I sighed, "Then why didn't Abuela say anything when I've been helping women in town with laundry for days?"

"Because, Y/N, she wants you to learn with your gift. Anyone could bring their laundry back and have Casita do it for them. And you need the training."

I stopped to think for a minute. That did make sense. "I see." Was all I said. "Where's your mom?"

"Oh, she went back to her room for something. But there's breakfast here, if you want some." She pointed to a tray of arepas. Those were a familiar food, strangely enough, though at home they'd have a green pepper sauce, and we called them something entirely different.

I took two in one hand. "Thank you. These look really familiar,"

"You have arepas back home?" She questioned.

"No, not as good as your Mama's." She smiled at the comment about them not being as good. It is a little strange how some people take putting others down as a compliment, but it was true.

"When do you think your family will be here?" She spoke again while adjusting her glasses.

"I'm not sure... I'd say four days or so." Really, I had no idea what day they'd come, or if they'd abandoned me here altogether.

"Do you think that's enough time to... you know, what you promised?" Mirabel asked.

I nodded. "Si."

"Good. Dolores's party is in a week, so that gives them a little time, and me a little more time to make any determinations." She smiled. "But just so you know, Luisa has the same question as I do."

I huffed, "How is it that you two can't find boys here?"

Mirabel scowled and began to explain with crossed arms, "Well, you don't have anyone waiting for you in your old village! Sometimes all you need is new people to come in to meet someone you love."

I shouldn't have been upset at that question, truthfully I'm not even sure why I was. My family had barely crossed my mind since my arrival here. It's been a whirlwind. I'm not sure why I'm protective of them. "That makes sense." I agreed.

"Besides. All the boys here probably still think of me as 'Giftless Mirabel.'" Her gaze fell downward, to the tiled floor.

"You've got a point there. If they can't see past that and see that you're still powerful and good, then they're definitely not worth your time."

Then it clicked. That was why she was so excited for travelers to come in. Why she hardly even asked questions; because she knew what she needed to know. That they didn't know her.