Thanks For Rescheduling

Jordan and I finally had a chance for our long awaited date.

We went to her house on a day practice had gotten called off. It was strange, being in a place that felt so much like her. Everything just made sense.

   I met her family; they were picture perfect. She had only a younger brother, in elementary school, who told me about his favorite dinosaurs before I even caught his name. Her father was on his way to meet with a client. He was a lawyer. Jordan's mother had made us a few snacks and run off with her son to go on a play date. They were all so charming and reflected Jordan very well. It made sense that this was the family she was a part of.

We made our way up to her room where she made a big deal about letting me choose where to sit as to not insinuate anything on her part. It was hilarious and adorable, and I ended up sitting on her bed to insinuate some things on my part. All of my "hook ups" with Ariana were starting to really leave me frustrated. Being in bed with Jordan wouldn't be the worst thing to happen.

   "What do people do on dates?" I couldn't tell if she was joking or not.

   "Depends, but most people don't usually have their first date in their room unless they're hooking up."

   She went a bit pink and began finding things to be put away in her already perfectly clean room.

   "I'm joking, Jordan." I was trying to avoid bringing up anything to do with past dates I had been on in one's room. I didn't want to think about Zoey or Ariana and I didn't want Jordan being intimidated. "It's our first date, so we can really do anything. We could draw or play cards."

   "Those are all old people things to do," she teased and made her way over to me on the bed.

   "Then you decided. Our first date can set the tone for future ones, knowing what we do or don't want to try for again."

   "Our first date definitely set the tone for what we don't want to try for again."

   "That one didn't count since you couldn't make it. This is our first date."

"Thanks for rescheduling, by the way."

"Of course; I was really looking forward to our date." I thought about everything that had taken place that night. The disappointment I felt over Jordan not being able to make it showed that my feelings were true. I wasn't sure what any of that meant for every other set of feelings I seemed to have. "I, uhh, I hope your grams is doing better."

"That old lady doesn't let anything slow her down. It'll be like it never happened by next week. She's almost indestructible. I'm sorry, again, for having to cancel and for what you were told."

"It's okay. You did the best you could in your situation. You reached out to communicate; the messenger just didn't give the right message."

She sighed and began to fidget with the end of a blanket.

"And I'm sorry about that, too."

"Why are you apologizing?"

"I feel like I came in and stirred the pot. If it wasn't for me, there wouldn't be so many complications with you and Ariana."

"We had complications before you became a part of the equation. If it wasn't you, I'm sure it would have been something else. Obviously our friendship didn't mean as much to her if she was willing to hurt everyone involved to try for what she wanted. You never had the intent to make things the way they are now."

"I know, but intentions don't fix the outcome. I still caused a lot of complications, more than there already were. I'm the reason you guys might not be friends anymore."

"Don't take responsibility for her actions." Her tone was sharp, but her eyes softened as she reached for my hand in my lap. "It's not fair to blame yourself for things that would have found a way to take place regardless. It is Ariana's fault that she lied to us both and took advantage of our situations."

I nodded, but I still felt guilty. "Let's change the subject please. I don't want Ariana somehow ruining our second first date."

She laughed and laid across her bed to place her head in my lap. "Movie?"

   "Spider-man?"

   "You're such a dork."

   "Wow so you're into dorks?"

   "Shut up and put on the movie," she laughed and gestures towards a remote.

The movie started playing, and I found myself leaning into her. It was weird for me to have moments like these.

   With Ariana, it always felt like I was chasing her emotionally and all she wanted me for was everything physical. We would have a sweet moment, and I would find myself clinging to it to erase every moment she had made me feel hurt or used.

With Jordan, I found myself being very comfortable. I knew that me putting my arm around her shoulder wouldn't lead to my hand down her pants. It wasn't that I didn't want to be with Jordan; it was that I could enjoy being near her and not worry that things would change if we didn't hook up. We were okay to just be in the company of one another without any expectations or hidden motives.

I must have fallen asleep at some point because I found myself comfortably snuggled into Jordan's side, confused by how Peter Parker had defeated the bad guy this time.

"Hey, I think you fell asleep about half way through," she chuckled. Her hand had been rubbing my back since I woke, but I had only just noticed as she stopped to tuck a strand of hair behind my ear and smiled down at me.

   "I didn't realize I was so tired, sorry."

   "Don't apologize. Life has been a bit chaotic lately. The only reason I didn't fall asleep is because you snore," she laughed.

   "I do not!" I protested and sat up, mocking offense.

   "You definitely do, but it's okay. It was cute."

   I rolled my eyes. "Shut up."

   She laughed and scooted to the edge of her bed. "Want to help me make dinner? My mom texted me that they are all grabbing a bite to eat and won't be back until late, so it's gonna be just us for a while."

   I looked at her to take her in. She was so beautiful. Her hair was pulled back into a braid, her clothing was baggy, and her eyes looked a little tired. Even still, she seemed to glow a bit. Her energy, pure and light, was reflected in everything she was. 

   Something about this girl made my chest swell in a way that was so sweet.

   "Yeah, dinner sounds good."

   She looked at me funny, probably wondering why my answer had taken so long.

   "What do you have? I'm actually starving."

   "Lucky for you, I'm a bit of a chef. Let's go see what we have to work with. The pantry is usually pretty well stocked."

   We headed down to her kitchen before deciding on pasta. We made a bit of a mess. I teased her the whole time, and she teased me back until we finally sat down to eat. The food turned out delicious. We made small talk and each babbled on about whatever came to mind. It was so peaceful and simple, but it meant so much to me to be able to connect with somebody so effortlessly.

   Being with Jordan just made sense.

   Our smooth night ended with us in her backyard. We were on a blanket, trying to see the stars. It was a bit cold and cloudy out. We were laughing and making jokes, and she had given me one of her hoodies to keep warm. I felt her hand slide into mine and gave a light squeeze. Everything felt perfect.

   The sound of the gate to the backyard creaking open stopped us mid laugh.

   "Jordan?"

   It was Ariana.