I'd Like That

After making my way upstairs, I found Adriana who introduced me to person after person. My adrenaline rush from being with Ariana was the only thing pushing me forward.

Everybody had managed to get settled in within the living rooms, kitchen, and dinning room. Most people were talking like they had known each other all of their lives. I was introduced to the twin's older brother Frankie, his husband Liam, and their adorable son Charles.

Frankie had a huge personality, and his husband had nothing but love to give. It was strange to me, taking into account all of the different ways siblings turned out when they came from the same environment.

   Adriana was always more bubbly and easy to approach while Ariana was less approachable and took a little bit of warming up to. Together, their personalities either mashed perfectly or clashed and unleashed chaos, hence my ongoing internal debate over which of them was more intoxicating.

   Liam and Adriana sat and carried on a conversation while I had zoned out, and when I came to, Frankie was eyeing me. I bit my lip and quickly looked away, doing my best to act like I hadn't felt his stare.

   "I actually made some the other day!" Adriana let out excitedly. "They're in the pantry, hidden from everybody. I tried a new recipe, and they turned out amazing. Do you want to try some?"

   She was so adorable when she talked about things she liked, such as baking.

   Thankfully, she was still holding a conversation with her brother-in-law, too busy to notice me studying her. The way her smile lit up the room, the way her dimple always showed when she smiled like that, her nervous glances down to the floor because she was anxious about somebody else eating the snacks she had made. Even when she brought me some at lunch, she always got nervous to share in fear that I wouldn't like it. Everything about her sweet passion made my heart swell.

   "I'd love to!" Liam let out. "Frankie, please keep an eye on our angel. You know how clumsy he is."

   "Of course. He is only just learning to walk, but he will be fine. Go enjoy the cookies."

   I smiled at their encounter and how they mouthed 'I love you' before separating.

   It hit me, too late, that I was now alone with Frankie. I didn't know what to do, but he was quick to fix the silence before it had time to settle.

   "So you play volleyball?"

   "Yeah, have since I was little." I smiled.

   "Play any other sports like, I don't know, softball? Maybe soccer?" He eyed me suspiciously. "Basketball?"

   My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "Umm, no. Softball overlaps with volleyball season, and I used to play soccer but gave it up. It's too dangerous, according to my mom, and basketball... I never was too good with getting balls even close to the hoop."

   He grinned and nodded, looking over to Charles. "Look baby, it's your auntie!"

   A blush immediately settled over my cheeks. "Oh, umm, I-"

    "-Hi lovey," Ariana cut me off and sat beside me. I wasn't sure if I should be relieved or not.

   "Do you mind if I steal y/n for a second, Frankie?"

   The panic set in before Frankie cut it short. "Actually, we were just getting to know each other. You guys get plenty of time, let me talk to her a little while longer," he whined out.

   She snatched up her nephew with a huff. "If you're stealing my friend, I'm stealing yours too," she teased as she ran off with Charles, his shrill giggle ringing off of the walls.

   Frankie gave the empty spot beside him a firm pat, indicating for me to come over. I followed instructions and sat beside him.

   He patted my knee and smiled. "I haven't figured out which yet, but you've got something going on with one of my sisters."

   I gulped. "I, uhh, what?" I choked out.

   "I have a husband, if you haven't noticed, and an excellent gaydar. I can tell you've got at least a little bit of gay in you."

   I blushed and nodded slightly.

   "I don't care what you have going on with my sisters, honestly. Just treat them right, and don't let it get in the way of your friendship. They come as a pair. If you lose one, you lose them both."

   He gently patted my knee before standing up. "I'm going to go find Liam and Adriana and get myself some cookies. It was really nice to meet you, and I look forward to seeing you around more. You seen like a good person and a good friend."

   "Thanks, it was nice to meet you too, and thank you for the advice."

He nodded and made his way towards the kitchen.

I sat by myself in silence, but my thoughts were rushing through my head.

I must have spaced out because hearing a quiet "Spaghetti is ready," beside me is what pulled me away from myself.

I hadn't even heard her footsteps or felt the couch dip beside me, but there Ariana was, baby in her lap and all.

   I looked up towards the kitchen. Everybody had made their way to form a line for food. There were roughly 10 people around the doorway for the kitchen, so I could only imagine the chaos of the other 10ish people inside.

"You okay?" she asked softly. "You seem a little gone." Her hand fell onto my left thigh, and my eyes shot up to meet hers.

The brown pair looked back at me, waiting for a response. They were soft and gentle but held worry.

"Yeah," I let out a forced chuckle. "I'm just a little tired is all."

She smiled and nodded. "We can eat in the backyard if you want? I've noticed you get kind of anxious around new people."

I smiled at the fact that she had picked up on my anxiety. I didn't bring it up often, but I was pretty sure I visibly tensed when people I didn't know approached me.

   I nodded my head and nibbled on my bottom lip.

"I'd like that."

We stared into each others eyes for a moment.

"There you are!" Liam exclaimed.

He quickly made his way over to us before swooping up Charles. "I missed you," he said in his baby voice before smothering his son's face in kisses. I couldn't help but to let out a small laugh at Charles' excited squeal.

"Let's go get you in your high chair and eat some yummy spaghetti!"